TrueHD on pc speakers

Ivy Mike

Agent
Real Name
Jordan
Hello all. I'm thinking about getting the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 setup for my PC and potentially picking up a Toshiba HD-DVD player (would need analog out, and I would use RCA-to-mini jack Y cords to output the analog 5.1 to the speakers inputs). I'm wondering if Dolby TrueHD would be noticeably better than standard DD 5.1 on $300 PC speakers. I've heard awesome things about TrueHD but wonder if it's really only going to be noticeable for people with the multi-thousand dollar sound systems. I'm also wondering if the signal would actually output right by using red&white RCA-to-single minijack cord for each of the three minijack inputs on the Logitech setup. Thanks.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
I think your best bet would probably be to pass the signal through a sound card and let it pass the signal to the speakers, I don't think using Y converters will work correctly.

I think you'll probably be wanting something on the order of one of Creative Labs soundcards with the faceplate inputs, It accepts RCA input. Though it'll add another ~$200 to your purchases.

I'm also not sure, and someone else I'm sure knows, if you'll need something capable of decoding the TrueHD format for sound. I'm also not sure if there's anything on the market that can do it.

That said, the 5500's get some pretty decent reviews and I've considered replacing my Midiland's for them, since the decoder for my Midilands has been a problem since Day 1.(Wonderfull range of inputs, lacks RCA, and doesn't interface well with Soundblasters. But the things are crystal clear and will shake things off the shelves 2 floors above me!)

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Some people have trouble hearing the difference between DVD-A/SACD and a normal CD. I don't doubt that this experience will be repeated by True-HD/DTS-MA and normal DD/DTS 5.1. Part of it is how good your equipment is, and the other part is how discerning you are about sound to start with.

Your question shouldn't be "I'm wondering if Dolby TrueHD would be noticeably better" so much as "Will I even be able to hear the difference". No one can answer that question, but you after trying it. If the cost is minimal, there is no reason not to try it. However I'd bet that the most limitting factor will be your your Logitech speaker system rather then the method the sound is stored at on the disc.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

LOL! Should've been more specific, I meant a stand alone decoder. Which is largely unneccessary if the Player is doing the decoding on it.

Now I wonder if the X-box 360's drive will do the same? I've got one pre-ordered and it'd be nice if I can just pass it through to my Midilands...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Druiz23