True Shipping Insurance?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Vince Maskeeper, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Since the "insurance" offered by most carriers is not actually insurance, but liability (no matter how much you cover an item for, they will only be liable for the actual cost of replacement or repair)-- and as a result, companies like FEDEX only extend $100 liability to irreplacable items (like works of art, photos, negatives, etc).

I'd like to ship several thousand feet of personal family film (8 and 16 mm) to have to tarnsferred- only would like to insure against loss. Fedex suggests contacting an insurance company- but I've had no luck so far. I checked with Homeowner policy- and this is not covered- and the agent had no clue on where to start for supplying coverage.

Does any shipping company offer real insured value for non-replacable items? Does any 3rd party company offer insurance on this type of thing?

There is some info on Cargo insurance on the fedex site:
    http://www.fedex.com/us/services/ftn/insurance.html
    But I can't figure out if you have to have a commercial account, or if it can be used to cover simple shipments.

-Vince

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Nobody?

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Well, I know my business owner's policy with Chickering covers damage on my property while in transit. Did you just try calling an insurance company?