True Romance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Strong, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Jon Strong

Jon Strong Agent

Hello fellas.

I just saw this movie for the first time (loved the black sicilian thing) and I think, no, I'm Sure, that Christian Slater ruined it for me.

Nothing he did made any sense to me, and I think in the hands of another (better) actor, it could've been brilliant.

What do you think?

2. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

I think he was just fine in the movie. His performance is convincing, if not extraordinary. He delivers his dialog naturally and effectively. He seems to genuinely be a fan of Elvis, comics and Sonny Chiba. I love the first scene with Slater and the girl in the bar, his speech about Elvis being a good looking man.

Great cast overall. Great movie.

3. Bernhard

Bernhard Stunt Coordinator

I also love this movie and although I usually don't really like Christian Slater I thought he was really great here.

But what really makes this movie in my opinion is Tarantino's dialogue - great script overall!

4. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Christian Slater was excellent in True Romance, probably one of his best performances ever.
    He was also great in such films as In The Name Of The Rose, Pump Up The Volume, Heathers and Tuck.
    A fine actor, imo.

5. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

I think the fact that you just saw it now made Slater seem so distracting to you...when I saw it in theatres for its origional release I thought it he was perfect for the part, a bigger, more macho actor would have ruined the whole allure of his all-heart, no criminal talent character. He was the little hustler that could.

6. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

I can't imagine true romance without Christian Slater. He was perfect for the role and in my opinion he did a wonderful job.

7. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

slater did a great job in this movie. as the lead, he held it together and provided a believable portrayal of a kid just trying to take advantage of a situatiion the best he could. he wasn't trying to make the big-score. just get enough money to get his life going...doing what he felt had to be done, etc.
    btw - absolutely dug his role in heathers..."greetings and salutations!" [​IMG]

9. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I don't know her off hand, but she was the druggie mother in "The Crow". It took me a few minutes to remember where I'd seen her before also.

10. DavidAC

DavidAC Stunt Coordinator

I actually just recently saw this for the first time also and I thought Slater did well. Good movie overall though I really wish Christopher Walken could have been it more, I loved that scene with him and Hopper. Also the scene with Gandolfini, simply brutal.

11. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I love True Romance, it is one of my favorite movies of all time; great cast, great dialog mixed with great violence equals a great movie. I think Christian Slater was perfect for the role of Clarence and did an outstanding job.

12. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

I also love True Romance, the amount of great performances is simply astounding and its about time the movie recieved a dvd worthy of it. This is one of the most underrated movies ever and is one of Christian Slater's finest roles.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Rain

Rain Producer

14. Jon Strong

Jon Strong Agent

I guess I'm out numbered. [​IMG] Maybe I was having a bad day or something...I guess ever since I hear he gets his parts 'cause his mom is a casting agent, I've always thoguth badly of him...
    I still think he sucked. [​IMG] But.
    Maybe I'm wrong.

15. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

16. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

17. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

18. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I also love Slater in this role.

Of course the greatest performance in the film is Gary Oldman, and that's saying something with that Hopper/Walken scene in the same film. Holy moly is he great.

IMO natch.

19. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I dig Slater in this flick. I think he's at his best when he's 'amped-up' (i.e. True Romance, Very Bad Things), though he does sometimes seem to struggle with the more dramatic stuff. All in all, I think he's a fine actor who's kind of underrated.
    As far as the movie goes...heck, there are like 16 amazing actors in True Romance! Take your pick!
    I love Sizemore in this flick. I laugh every time he says "I like this Clarence guy! He's crazy!"
    Rapaport too: "...oh, and Floyd smoked the second page of the letter..."
    And what's with that crazy skyward smirk that Gandolfini offers after smashing Alabama to the floor?
    Lastly, what in the WORLD is funnier than Pinchot huddling into the phone and muttering "You want me to suck his...??"
    5 stars. Pure energetic fun. I dig this movie more every time I see it.

20. Art Martinez

Art Martinez Stunt Coordinator

I also love "True Romance". I stayed away from this movie for a long time because the title said to me "love story/chick flick". (Nothing against those types of movies, just not my cup of tea.)

Anyway I found the title a couple years ago for $10 and being a fan of Slater, I decided to pick it up. Great movie, great cast, great writting, and just an awesome cast. It's was great to see a Tarantino script not made into someones political agenda. (Sorry but I will never forgive Oliver Stone for what he did to "Natural Born Killers".)

One last thing for those that have picked up the two disc version: I have read the original Tarantino script and liked it very much. Can anyone tell me if
    does the alternate ending include Clarence dying in the gun fight in the hotel room. I can see the reason for the change, but I like the idea of one of the main characters dying. In life not everything works out the way you want it to, and I thought that the original ending really personified that.

Thanx in advance if any info.