TRUE ROMANCE - Directors Cut? Again? Where's the original?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

They have the Director's Cut:
    [​IMG]
    ...and now, after all this time... the Director's Cut again!
    [​IMG]
    Where's the theater version! I've watched the Director's Cut already, and it wasn't as good. I've been waiting to see the original on DVD, and after all this wait- nothing! Curses! Will there ever be a fix for this?

2. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

I thought the Director's Cut merely added some violence that was cut to avoid a NC-17 rating, in which case I would think there was no difference between the two version aside from this small amount of excised material. It's odd you would say you prefer a less violent version of an already extremely violent film.

3. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Sorry. Misread.
    Anyway. Director's Cut is the only way to go. More blood and violence just the way we like it. [​IMG]

4. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Actually the director's cut had a different resolution. In the theatrical cut the "WOP" guy miraculously gets back up after being shot to kill Chris Penn, while the Director's cut has Alabama shoot Penn.

5. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

Well this version should be anamorphic, so happy-happy-joy-joy!

6. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

But, I guess there should be no real reason why they can't include both versions on this forthcoming 2 disc SE. Having never seen the theatrical cut (the Director's Cut is all we got here in Norway [​IMG]) it is most welcome on my behalf on this new set.

7. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

8. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Hopefully the will also correct the error in the sound mix.
    The UK DVD had the rear channels reversed (left & right rear). This was supposedly corrected on later pressings but I am not convinced.

9. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

"It's odd you would say you prefer a less violent version of an already extremely violent film."

So, if I let some violence be okay, why not as much as possible? lol. That just sounded kind of funny. Here's a little how I feel.

You know how sometimes what's not seen is more dramatic? But, the director's cut just went as far as to SHOW more gore, and it lost some of the dynamic impact to me. I don't glorify in violence, I'm just moved when it's put in the right places.

Whether or not one likes it more or less violent, they did release it that way to theaters, and that came to be the version I fell in love with, I guess. In fact, this came to be one of my favorite films of the 90's, and part of my college memories. So, that's probably why I'm especially interested in seeing it the way it has impacted me the best.

So, even with all the features, I just think it only right for them to provide a way to see both versions in high quality.

10. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

We only received the director's cut theatrically here in Australia. I guess you can assume that the theatrical cut represented the movie as Warner's legal department and the MPAA thought it should be for mainstream release, and the director's cut represents what Tony Scott and (probably) the cast and crew originally made and wanted to put out in theaters. This in mind, I suspect Scott probably wouldn't be all that motivated to push for the inclusion of the theatrical version, and (feel free to disagree) I'd guess that most fans prefer the longer cut anyway. I'm happy with the specs of the set as they currently stand, and Scott's commentary track will hopefully clarify his preferences for us all.

11. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

12. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

So, if WB can release True Romance, Striptease, etc. in their unrated versions, why the f*ck won't they release Eyes Wide Shut?! Was not some bullshit positioning statement released saying something to the effect of "Warner Brothers is not in the business of releasing unrated movies...?"
    [​IMG]

13. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell