What's new

True Romance 2-discs SE...Dialogue cut? (1 Viewer)

Voranand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
voranand vivorakij
sorry if it has been discussed before...searched...nothing comes up...so...

Researched all of Quentin Tarantino's films for every alternate versions. Surprised to see this at IMDB:
In the first release of the Unrated Director's Cut on DVD in the US, Clarence's "I'd fuck Elvis" speech is the original version as he talks more in-depth about a particular scene in Jailhouse Rock. In the re-release of the Unrated Director's Cut (in the 2-disc special edition), some of the dialog from Clarence is cut.

Is this true? I checked the original script. There's amount of dialogues certainly *not* on the new SE but the question is.. why anyone bothered to cut a few dialouges from the old release for the new one? Doesn't make any sense.

Kareem

Auditioning
Maybe Tony Scott changed his mind about the dialogue?

I think the only other film I've heard of that actually got SHORTER for a director's cut is Blade Runner.

Tony's taking after Ridley, I guess.

Voranand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
voranand vivorakij

...or IMDB report is wrong. I certainly hope for the latter. I just hope Quentin's fans here can confirm this.

BTW, both are director's cuts. And both are DVDs. One has more dialouge than another. Weird.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
Sitting here at work, I could recite Clarence's whole "Jailhouse Rock" speech off the top of my head... and I don't recall any of it being missing in the director's cut (which is an amazing release for fans of the film, btw... I would've killed for some of those extras during my Tarantino heyday).

Anyway, I could very well be wrong. It's been a while since I watched the director's cut, and even longer since I had any reason to dig out my theatrical cut laserdisc.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Often, the published script is different than the film. With TRUE ROMANCE, Tony Scott probably didn't use all of QT's dialogue, but the script was from an earlier version.

This is very common.

I don't remember there being a lot of talk about JAILHOUSE ROCK in any of the versions of the film, and I have no idea where my copy of the script is.

I'd just say that the film is complete, but the script added dialogue that didn't make the final cut.

Voranand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
voranand vivorakij
Ok. For the convenience of you guys. Here's the whole dialogue in the script:
"In "Jailhouse Rock" he's everything rockabilly's about. I mean he is
rockabilly: mean, surly, nasty, rude. In that movie he couldn't give a fuck
about anything except rockin' and rollin', livin' fast, dyin' young, and
leaving a good-looking corpse. I love that scene where after he's made it big
he's throwing a big cocktail party, and all these highbrows are there, and
he's singing, "Baby You're So Square... Baby, I Don't Care". Now, they got
him dressed like a dick. He's wearing these stupid-lookin' pants, this
horrible sweater. Elvis ain't no sweater boy. I even think they got him
wearin' penny loafers. Despite all that shit, all the highbrows at the party,
big house, the stupid clothes, he's still a rude-lookin' motherfucker. I'd
watch that hillbilly and I'd want to be him so bad. Elvis looked good. I'm
no fag, but Elvis was good-lookin'. He was fuckin' prettier than most
women. I always said if I ever had to fuck a guy... I mean had too 'cause my
life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis."

And Clarence's speech in new 2-discs SE.
"In "Jailhouse Rock" he's everything rockabilly's about. I mean he is
rockabilly: mean, surly, nasty, rude. In that movie he couldn't give a fuck
about anything except rockin' and rollin', livin' fast, dyin' young, and
leaving a good-looking corpse. I'd watch that hillbilly and I'd want to be him so bad. Elvis looked good. I'm no fag, but Elvis was good-lookin'. He was fuckin' prettier than most women. I always said if I ever had to fuck a guy... I mean had too 'cause my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis."

Now I know the dialogue has been cut differently for different versions. That's not the question. The question refered to IMDB report.
"In the first release of the Unrated Director's Cut on DVD in the US, Clarence's "I'd fuck Elvis" speech is the original version as he talks more in-depth about a particular scene in Jailhouse Rock. In the re-release of the Unrated Director's Cut (in the 2-disc special edition), some of the dialog from Clarence is cut."

I find it really strange if true. Can anyone confirm this?

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
Ah, sorry, I misread the original question. If you find an answer, please let us know here.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Wasn't the laserdisc also the unrated director's cut? I could've sworn it was...

Vincent

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
Yeah, you're right - good catch. I owned this film on VHS and LD, and I must've been thinking about my VHS theatrical cut.

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
I've seen this movie many times, I even checked my disc after I found this thread. The dialogue on the 2-disc SE is exactly the same as the previous dvd which was exactly the same as the Laserdisc (all the "unrated director's cut" of course).

Voranand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
voranand vivorakij

I know I can rely on this site. :D

Many thanks. I sleep better now.

Voranand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
voranand vivorakij
Oh, and Adam..you're right. Every Quentin's fans would've killed for some of those extras..especially *his* commentary..which is very informative.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I would have loved the non-director's cut as an extra. I am assuming some of the changes were made for the rating but would have loved to see a whole list of differences to see if I missed any.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks