What's new

True-Life Adventures - Color Issue on "Prowler of the Everglades" (1 Viewer)

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator
Just got off the phone with a Disney "technician". The fix is to manually switch the red and blue component cables (if you are linked via component). I suppose there is no fix otherwise, and it is a real hassle to get behind my tv or receiver and switch those cables around (like I should have to anyway).

They acknowleged it is a mastering problem with the disc, but, as said in previous post, they have NO PLANS for a replacement. I asked what it would take to change those plans, and they explicitly said it depends on how many people complain.

PLEASE CALL!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
So in the interim, does this mean that if I were to manually switch the blue and red cables on my component inputs, the disc would look correct?

David*W

Agent

Yes, there is confirmation from some who have tested it that switching the red and blue component wires does offer a somewhat satisfactory "fix" for this problem.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Ironcially, or rather as an insult, this so far is the official "fix" that Disney is providing. "Just switch your cables around and it will play fine!" :frowning:

ZackR

Supporting Actor
If switching the component cables is the official "fix" - then that is a joke. Sucks if you use HDMI or something else.

I mean, these sets are aimed at the more avid/interested Disney aficianados, but that is all the more reason to do them right... Between this and the aspect ratio problem on the other set, they really need to issue corrected discs to those who have purchased these.

I'll be calling this afternoon.

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator

I can confirm that a Disney "technician" told me on the phone that switching the red/blue component cables would fix the problem.

Jim-M

Second Unit
So far Disney has followed up as promised. They provided me a prepaid mailing label to send the disc back when a replacement is ready. Unlike others, I was specifically told that a new disc would be forthcoming. I guess we'll all find out whether that was accurate or not.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Jim, was Disney going to contact you to let you know when it was ready or are you supposed to mail it right away?

Jim-M

Second Unit
They said they would contact me when it was ready and not to send it in until then. When I got off the phone with them there was no doubt in my mind that they were taking care of it. I guess there is some doubt now after reading that others received different responses.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
I just got off of the phone with Disney on this issue, and the story I got is that they are DEFINITELY fixing the issue as quickly as possible and WILL send me a new disc with a prepaid mailer to return the old one, as soon as it becomes available. So I would recommend to anyone who called earlier and got a wishy-washy response, to call back and see if the story has changed. Again, once I got past the 1st level "info gathering agent" and forwarded to the actual technician, there was complete acknowledgement of the issue and complete assurance that replacement discs were currently in development/production.

David

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just got off the phone with them, and the very nice lady took my info and said that they'll be in touch once they figure whats up. So, one more voice hopefuly lending support to getting the disc remastered.

I also took a moment to mention that I was terribly dissapointed in the Disney Treasures getting the axe. I dont know if anything would come of it, but might as well put a bug in their ear while I had 'em on the phone, right?

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
When I called, they said they knew of the problem and would send a return envelope out but to wait until Disney contacted me before returning the disc. This tech was not as firm that it was in the works to be redone.

I'm beginning to think that the problem may have happened at the film stage and not a "cross-patch" of the video channels. This looks more like printing records with the wrong filter (sep negs are red, green, blue to print to positives which are yellow, magenta, cyan so if a new interpositive was created with the wrong filters on two of the records, you'd get color but they would be wrong as previously posted--this would require reprinting not just switching channels to get it right.)

John

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
But even if the error occured in the film realm instead of the digital video realm, the DVD could still be corrected by simply switching the red and blue channels, couldn't it? Why would a repriting be required?

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
Why would a repriting be required?

Well the colors in film and the Technicolor Seps from the 50s are different than the color spectrum for television. You might get close (and they might choose to do it that way) by pulling the channels and reassigning them, but there is such a thing as cross-talk and film has corrections built-in for that problem.

It's all pure supposition on my part, it could have been an electronic error but it's something I've never seen happen in a telecine suite.

Also, since the IP is protection, it's better to have it right and in the vault for the future. One of the problems we've had over the years is the only way to check seps is to print them back and very very few studios ever did it until the original negative was damaged. Since the True Live Adventures were mainly shot on 16mm, it was Technicolor that did blow-up seps from the original Kodachrome Commercial film in the first place.

We'll see what they do.

John

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I noticed that only Volumes 3 and 4 are still on the shelves at Best Buy. Perhaps 1 and 2 have been recalled.

Jim-M

Second Unit
I just got an email from Disney that states the new disc is ready and that it will be mailed to me. They will provide a return mailing label with the disc so that I can send the old disc back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks