True Lies - is the DVD flagged as 4X3 or widescreen?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chet_F, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Does anyone know if True Lies is flagged as fullscreen(4X3) or widscreen?

The reason I ask is that I have a Widescreen TV and DVDs flagged as 4X3 display with bars around the widescreen picture. Neither my DVD player or TV have a manual zoom function. Most people with a widescreen TV would just manually zoom the picture on their DVD player.

Thanks.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Chet,

Unfortunately, True Lies is a Pan & Scan DVD. It shouldn't display on your TV with bars around it, just with bars to the left and right.

Are you sure your DVD player is set to 16x9 (or "wide screen", or whatever it's called in the setup section of that player)? Because it should be set to the actual situation of your TV.

Cees

3. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Cees Alons: Yea, the DVD player is set 16X9. The True Lies I was inquiring about was the Letterbox version. It's on sale this week for $4.99.

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

What model TV do you have Chet?

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The film is letterboxed, but not enhanced for 16:9 TVs. One of the zoom modes on a widescreen television should display it properly.

Joe

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Chet,

I was mistaken anyway, sorry for that. I own the 1999 version and it is letterboxed indeed - and not anamorphic, like Joseph said already. I believe there's also a 2003 version, but I cannot tell what the difference is PQ wise.

I remembered it wrong - the transfer isn't too brilliant (and, again, not anamorphic), but it's not P&S.

Cees

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

The True Lies DVD is flagged properly for DVD players that can stretch not 16x9 DVDs to look like they are 16x9. The picture is lacking this way but it beats the picture being windowboxed like the Titanic DVD is.

8. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Kevin M: It's an 30" Akai widescreen. Don't know the exact model. THe TV does not have a zoom mode/option. I wish it did.

Jonathon: Are you sure? I've got conflicting reports on another forum. They state it's flagged as 4X3. Nice to see another Chattanogan on the board, I thought I was the only one.

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

What model number?

10. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

The R1 True Lies IS flagged for 16x9 TVs.

11. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

What do you mean by "flagged for 16x9"? If you are referring to "anamorphic" then it is not, unless Fox has re-released this disc in Region 1. The early Fox DVDs were rather sad and hasty releases based on old masters, non-anamorphic, and absolutely riddled with edge enhancement.

12. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I think what they are saying is that any WS TV that does not have manual zoom options will automatically display these DVD's at the AR that they are flagged at.

However if that is the case then I would think that a 4:3 dvd that was flagged at 16:9 would stretch rather than show up windowboxed.

13. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

That's correct. It automatically zooms in the DVD. A lot of Fox's non-anamorphic discs do that.

14. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

My old JVC player did the 16x9 stretch on non anamorphic DVDs. My new Denon does not.

15. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Kevin M: Akai CFT3090 - I've looked at all of the options, there's no zoom that I have seen. I can stretch TV so that it fills the entire screen which I do. Don't want any weird burn-in lines.

Jonathon: I have a JVC XV-SA75 DVD player. It automatically zooms DVDs flagged as widescreen.

Thanks to everyone for all the info, I think I'll pick it up this week. It's only 4.99.

16. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

My Panasonic RP-91 zooms this disc automatically, so I assume it is correctly flagged as widescreen.

17. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Jay, DVD's can be flagged as anamorphic widescreen, non-anamorphic widescreen and 4:3. This is for the use of auto scaling DVD players like the Panasonic RP91 and some JVC models. Some non-anamorphic widescreen disks are improperly flagged as 4:3 and although the RP91 allows you to manually scale these disks, the JVC models do not. I assume the original poster has one of these DVD players that do not allow manual scaling.

18. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Jeff: Thanks for the explanation...I was wondering what the fuss was about. I happened to watch TL last week, RP82 with manual scaling. I didn't know some players don't allow manual scaling, so was wondering why the size flag even mattered. There are just too many erroneous flags on discs (though much better these days) to rely on them exclusively.

19. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

CraigF: Yea, sucks to be me. I just went thru my collection and got rid of most of the improperly flagged DVDs. I thought about buying another player but decided against it as new DVDs don't have this issue and there's not too many old DVDs that I want. I figure most of the DVDs that were improperly flagged will be rereleased some day as anamorphic. You'd be suprised what DVDs are improperly flagged, i.e. Robocop Criterion.

20. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Chet, if I'm not mistaken, all of my Criterion 4x3 LBX DVDs are not flagged correctly.