true HD resolutions??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Navid, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Navid

Navid Agent

Let me get something straight here... Is it true that there only very few Rear Projection HDTVs on the market that have a 1920x1080 native resolution?
    This means that all 1080i source is meant for this native resolution for the truest possible presentation, but most RPTVs do not even honestly show even a 1080i signal at 1920x1080??? (and 1080i is very common and always primary support of HDTVs and has been around for 4 years or so!)
    I know that most RPTVs do not have a 1280x720 native resolution and if they can even receive a 720p source, they will convert it to the 1080i resolution.
    ..but I never in a million years would have expected an HDTV to not even support a 1920x1080 resolution when that seems to be the whole point of 1080i signals!!
    For example... I just bought the Mitsubishi Gold Plus 65411. 2003 model. It does not support 1920x1080, right? Toshiba 65H82.. does not support 1920x1080... HDX82, no... Hitachi SWX, XWX, both don't support.. Pioneer Elite, nope.. Panasonic.. nope. Sony... nope. Can this be true?
    This is scewed up. Could someone help me understand... Is this true? I honestly thought that if a TV natively support 1080i formats, than it can fully display a 1920x1080i resolution. Am I completely mistaken here?

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Someone already started one thread on this... Friends, I assume? (your names also...)

And yeah, 7" CRTs can't resolve full 1920x1080i. And like I said before, there are plenty of amazing pictures to look at, regardless.

A lot of HD Video cams in use can only support ~1400 lines of resolution anyway.

Whatever the max resolution on your computer monitor is, it can't fully display that resolution either, most likely. The scan lines will start to overlap.

And forget about any direct view sets, it will likely be a very long time before the shadow mask on the set will be fine enough to allow close to full 1080i resolution.

Why does this bother you? It accepts the native 1080i signal and does a presents a splendid picture. If you absolutely must have the full physical posibility of the picture displayed you need to go buy a more expensive set.

It's not downconverting the signal or anything. The analog optics of the set are physically incapable of producing that much resultion, that's all.

Your speakers don't convey every nuance of the recording on your CDs either. This is all perfectly normal. No one is trying to screw anyone over here, it's just the nature of consumer electronics.

As I also said before, there are plenty of fixed pixel based display that will support 720p (fully) without a problem. They are both FP and RP based.

3. Navid

Navid Agent

Hmm... I have never once before started a thread like this.

I have been reading various threads about it.. and it was a big deal at first... but now I am comfortable with it.