What's new

True Grit (1969) & John Wayne : BD release on December 14th (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5276

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced that it will release the original 1969 version of True Grit on Blu-ray on December 14, tying in with the theatrical release of the remake directed by the Coen brothers. This western was directed by Henry Hathaway and starred John Wayne in a memorable role that won him his only Academy Award.

Special features include:
  • Commentary by Jeb Rosebrook, Bob Boze Bell and J. Stuart Rosebrook
  • True Writing
  • Working with the Duke
  • Aspen Gold: Locations of True Grit
  • The Law and The Lawless
  • Theatrical Trailer

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
That'll be a Christmas present to myself. A mandatory purchase.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Not much interested in the remake, but this is a definite buy for me.

Jeff Bridges replacing the Duke? Puh-leeze!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

Not much interested in the remake, but this is a definite buy for me.

Jeff Bridges replacing the Duke? Puh-leeze!

The advance word is that the Coen's version remains true to the novel. Some significant alterations were made to the story in the 1969 film.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Interesting that Paramount is releasing this (and even more so MONTE WALSH, albeit on DVD) after such an interminable dearth of catalog releases. I realize this is in response to the Coens' remake, but I hope this leads to other Paramont/Wayne Blu-rays, specifically HATARI!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

The advance word is that the Coen's version remains true to the novel. Some significant alterations were made to the story in the 1969 film.

Yup, at first I was really negative towards this new version, but now I'm very interested in seeing their film adaptation of the book.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm really looking forward not only to this BD release, but to seeing the Coens' film come the New Year (when it's released in the UK). I'm expecting nothing short of brilliance from all concerned.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Yup, at first I was really negative towards this new version, but now I'm very interested in seeing their film adaptation of the book.

Crawdaddy

IIRC, the Coen's have not seen the 1969 film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

IIRC, the Coen's have not seen the 1969 film.

Somehow, I just can't believe two students of genre like the Coen brothers would have missed out of the great standouts of the Western genre. I've read a couple interviews where they talks specifically about the differences between their adaptation and the 1969 original adaptation -- mainly the decision to tell the entire story from Mattie Ross's perspective, with Rooster Cogburn firmly a supporting character. They contrasted this with the previous adaptation, noting that Wayne takes center stage from the moment his character is introduced.

I'm probably going to hold off on buying this until I see how I feel about the new adaptation. Since both films are from Paramount, something tells me this disc will be repackaged in a combo pack with the new movie somewhere down the road.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm having a hard time believing that too even if it's only seeing parts of that film. Both of them are part of the generation in which westerns were an important genre growing up in the 1960s and early 1970s on film and even on television.

Crawdaddy

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Somehow, I just can't believe two students of genre like the Coen brothers would have missed out of the great standouts of the Western genre. I've read a couple interviews where they talks specifically about the differences between their adaptation and the 1969 original adaptation -- mainly the decision to tell the entire story from Mattie Ross's perspective, with Rooster Cogburn firmly a supporting character. They contrasted this with the previous adaptation, noting that Wayne takes center stage from the moment his character is introduced.

I'm probably going to hold off on buying this until I see how I feel about the new adaptation. Since both films are from Paramount, something tells me this disc will be repackaged in a combo pack with the new movie somewhere down the road.

I read the Portis novel in school when it came out. I was frankly amazed that the 1969 movie followed it as closely as it did. Seriously, few novels are adapted as faithfully as this one was in 1969. The original movie IS from Mattie's point of view, and Duke IS only a supporting character (albeit a larger than life heroic one). The movie even preserved the somewhat odd manner of speech of the novel. I hope the Blu-ray is worth buying, but I suspect it will merely be a DVD retread.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

I'm having a hard time believing that too even if it's only seeing parts of that film. Both of them are part of the generation in which westerns were an important genre growing up in the 1960s and early 1970s on film and even on television.

Crawdaddy

And Fargo was 'based on a true story'; it's a well known fact.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I got my copy from amazon.com today but some word of mouth on the transfer isn't the best. Waiting to see a post from Robert Harris before I open my copy. I am hoping the transfer isn't compromised badly.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Heh, heh. Ordered this one (it's on its way) and will gladly order the Coen brothers's version as well. I also ordered a DVD of Rooster Cogburn (in a set), when I suddenly realized I didn't own one at all.

Who will be John Wayne?

Cees

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm catching up with Wayne movies -- actually, westerns in general -- late in life, and am having a great time doing so. True Grit is one of the many I haven't seen, so I'm really hoping this is a worthwhile release.

This film looks very nice on Blu-ray, very characteristic of an IB Technicolor print from the era. I much prefer this classic look to the sepia-toned, underlit dreariness of many modern Westerns.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by David_B_K

(Not that I believe it....)

This BD is a great pleasure to watch. Even my wife (who isn't really "into" westerns) liked seeing it, she saw the movie for the first time.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks