1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

True Difference In Component Cable Brands?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Van Dalen, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Jon Van Dalen

Jon Van Dalen Auditioning

I am using s-video for my dvd player which looks rgeat to me, really, but I am going to change it at this point to a component cable. I don't even expect any real difference in video quality, but mainly the reason is that both my dvd player and dreamcast are using s-video, and thuse I need to use an annoying switch.
    I would, however, like to gain as much as I can out of switching to component. I have tried basic crappy dubbing cables just to test the component jacks and it works just fine, and looks as good as s-video. What I mean is I used A/V dubbing cables (because nothing else was available) and the picture looked really as good as I have seen it with s-video.
    So the question is, why do monster and bettercables sell basic 1 meter cables for up to $100 if I can get a quality I seem to find as good as s-video with crappy dubbing cables from radio shack? (they weren't even the good ones) Should I buy a moderately priced component cable like acoustic research or for some reason get a $65 or $100 one? Of course, I did not test a lot of material or even look very very closely at the results. I only have a 20" tv (the new toshiba flat one) and I was actually trying this on a 27" tv before.
    One thing I'd like to fix is that subtitles, particularly the white ones) tend to shimmer a little with s-video. Not like composite dot-crawl type shimmering, but just a flickering like a low refresh rate on a monitor. They are very sharp.
    Jon

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Although I usually recomnd people use the highest level cables they can and to use component if offered I don't think you're going to see the gains that people with larger sets do. Would you gain by moving to say a nice set of catcable componment cables vs your current s-video? Likely but IMO I'm not sure its a wise investment..at least right now. Now if you were planning on upgrading to a larger set in the future then buying a reference quality cable might make sense but for now I'd say spend the money elsewhere
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

3. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Unless the cable is "broken", you won't see a difference between shielded coaxial video cables. I suggest going to Radio Shack and picking up 3 coaxial shielded video cables for less than $10/each (they are solid black in color, have RCA plugs and are in a bag) and use them. You won't be missing anything. They aren't even Gold-Plated! [​IMG]

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have to second Andrew on this one.
    Home Theater magazine came up with these numbers based on a reference 50" RPTV:
    Composite - baseline quality
    SVideo - 20% better than Composite
    Component - 25% better than Composite
    They noted that larger displays show MORE improvement, smaller displays LESS.
    So I dont think its a wise investment for your 20" tube TV. It would be fractional improvement.