True DD5.1 / DTS without a sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Fred G, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Fred G

Fred G Agent

I have an Onkyo HTR-500 receiver and need some speakers to compliment them.

I was interested in getting the Fluance AV-HTB specifically because 1) I will be listening to music 80% of the time and 2) The fronts give great bass without a sub (I particularly don't want a sub due to space constraints and my unwillingness to disturb the neighbors).

However, when listening to a DVD, I don't want to completely loose the bass. With a 5.0 setup, is the Bass re-routed to the front speakers, or is the LFE channel completely lost?

Do DTS/DD5.1 DVDs send "all" the bass to the LFE channel?

On a second note, this setup will be used in a small room (~100sqft). Most of the time music and movies will be played at low volumes. Is the audio quality with floor speakers good at low volumes, or would satellites be better?

I was also looking into other setups:

JBL NSP1II 5-Piece - after you add a sub it becomes more expensive than the Flaunce, and the sub is considerably large.

Acoustic Research HC6 - seems impossible to find. A bit more expensive since Best Buy does not carry them anymore. I like the aesthetics of this setup a bit more than the JBLs and at $350 they'd cost about the same as the NSP1 IIs and a sub.

As you can see the Fluance's are very attractive as they likely not only sound better than the others (especially for music [2 towers]), but without the sub (which I can live without) are much cheaper.

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

For capturing all the bass without a sub if you have bass-capable mains:

1) Set the mains to Large.
    2) Set the subwoofer to Off/No.
    3) Set the remaining speakers to Small.

In addition to sending the mains a full range L/R signal, this will also route the LFE channel and the low passed bass from the other surround channels, to the mains.

This is what I commonly refer to as "triple bass duty" for the mains. I hope you have a powerful high current amp because this configuration requires a LOT of power at anything over very moderate volumes for bassy DVDs.

3. Chad_Henry

Chad_Henry Stunt Coordinator

Actually, BB does still carry the AR HC6 system, but only online. Go the the website and you can order it for $300.

4. Fred G

Fred G Agent

Chad, do you know what to search for? I have tried many times and the HC6s don't show up.

5. Chad_Henry

Chad_Henry Stunt Coordinator

Fred,

Seems you're right, BB no longer lists them on the website. The best price I could find anywhere else was at Overstock.com.

Disappointing to me as well, I was planning on getting these for my bedroom in the place we're building.

The thing is, I just saw them listed there a week or so ago I think, so they apparently pulled them very recently.