What's new

True DD5.1 / DTS without a sub? (1 Viewer)

Fred G

Agent
I have an Onkyo HTR-500 receiver and need some speakers to compliment them.

I was interested in getting the Fluance AV-HTB specifically because 1) I will be listening to music 80% of the time and 2) The fronts give great bass without a sub (I particularly don't want a sub due to space constraints and my unwillingness to disturb the neighbors).

However, when listening to a DVD, I don't want to completely loose the bass. With a 5.0 setup, is the Bass re-routed to the front speakers, or is the LFE channel completely lost?

Do DTS/DD5.1 DVDs send "all" the bass to the LFE channel?

On a second note, this setup will be used in a small room (~100sqft). Most of the time music and movies will be played at low volumes. Is the audio quality with floor speakers good at low volumes, or would satellites be better?

I was also looking into other setups:

JBL NSP1II 5-Piece - after you add a sub it becomes more expensive than the Flaunce, and the sub is considerably large.

Acoustic Research HC6 - seems impossible to find. A bit more expensive since Best Buy does not carry them anymore. I like the aesthetics of this setup a bit more than the JBLs and at $350 they'd cost about the same as the NSP1 IIs and a sub.

As you can see the Fluance's are very attractive as they likely not only sound better than the others (especially for music [2 towers]), but without the sub (which I can live without) are much cheaper.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
For capturing all the bass without a sub if you have bass-capable mains:

1) Set the mains to Large.
2) Set the subwoofer to Off/No.
3) Set the remaining speakers to Small.

In addition to sending the mains a full range L/R signal, this will also route the LFE channel and the low passed bass from the other surround channels, to the mains.

This is what I commonly refer to as "triple bass duty" for the mains. I hope you have a powerful high current amp because this configuration requires a LOT of power at anything over very moderate volumes for bassy DVDs.

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, BB does still carry the AR HC6 system, but only online. Go the the website and you can order it for $300.

Fred G

Agent
Chad, do you know what to search for? I have tried many times and the HC6s don't show up.

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Fred,

Seems you're right, BB no longer lists them on the website. The best price I could find anywhere else was at Overstock.com.

Disappointing to me as well, I was planning on getting these for my bedroom in the place we're building.

The thing is, I just saw them listed there a week or so ago I think, so they apparently pulled them very recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks