True Crime or GTA Double Pack for Xbox?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kami, Oct 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

2 awesome games coming out on the same day...doh! I would get both but I have to save money for the new LOTR: Return of the King game on the 6th.

The latest article on IGN makes true crime sound good
    http://xbox.ign.com/articles/456/456150p1.html

I've played both GTA3 and GTA:VC on the PC, and loved it but know I would enjoy it much more on my big screen.

Both games also support 720p if I'm not mistaken!

Decisions, decisions...

2. Eric_P

Eric_P Extra

I'm also debating between two games to buy.. LOTR:ROTK and TC:SOLA, since I already have VC for the PS2. Right now I'm leaning more to LOTR, and rent the other to try it out, only saved enuf for one game this month [​IMG]

If you've already played GTA, you should hold off on that until a later time and pick up one of the new titles out..

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I'm leaning toward the GTA Double Pack. I've already played VC and thoroughly enjoyed it, it would be great to have it on my X-Box. I've never played GTA3 so this double pack will give me a chance to play this game as well.

The bottom line for me is that for the cost of one game you can get 2 really good games. To me True Crime looks good but doesn't look like a GTA killer, it is for that reason I'd give True Crime a rental first before buying it.

4. David Fisher

David Fisher Stunt Coordinator

I understand why people want to compare True Crime to GTA, but there are some key differences between the two. True Crime has a much more advanced game engine, fighting system, and driving physics than GTAIII. The real difference between the two is the fact that you are a rogue cop who "takes the law into his own hands." The point of the game is aggressive law enforcement, not a celebration of violence and crime (not that there's anything wrong with that).

True Crime features open-ended gameplay that is similar to GTA. However, GTA's main story is extremely linear. You can choose not to advance the main story by cruising the streets or looking for side-missions, but the main story is advanced the same way everytime you play. True Crime features a branching story that reacts to the choices that you make. Like Deus Ex, you can play True Crime with guns blasting in every level or you can use stealth to your advantage. GTA does not offer any type of gameplay options except brute force.

I'm looking forward to True Crime, but Activision (the game's publisher) marketing has really dropped the ball. Activision would obviously like a GTA hit, and they are marketing this game as such. To the average game buyer, True Crime probably seems like "GTA, but it's set in a realistic model of Los Angeles!"

Activision wants to cash in on GTA's infamy, but they should have followed the first rule of business. If you want to enter a market, you have to clearly spell out the difference between your product and the #1 product in the market. If Coca-Cola is the classic soda for your parents, then Pepsi is the soda for the young kids. If Nike makes a better cross training shoe, then Reebok should make a better basketball shoe. If your game is about being a violent criminal, then my game should be about a cop that is tired of violent criminals, tired of the system that doesn't stop them, and decides to take the law into his own hands.

That's how you need to market a game like True Crime. If you want to beat GTA, then you have to redefine the genre, not copy it. If you want to play in the GTA market, you also have to be prepared to face the wrath and scorn of upset parents and lawmakers. When parents walk into game stores this holiday to buy gifts, they don't want to look at a game like True Crime if it is being advertised as GTA on steroids. These parents *might* be interested in a game where you play a cop and it's up to you to make the streets safe again. The guys at Luxoflux have spent a long time on this game, and they deserve kudos for pulling off a technically challenging project like True Crime. I just hope that they are successful despite Activision's poor marketing choices.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Did you play the True Crime PS2 demo, David?