What's new

True Blood: Season Two (2 Viewers)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I thought the most interesting thing about last nights episode was during her conversation w/ Maryanne,Sookie saying someone was looking out for her, in her opinion God, and it showed the flashback to season1 premiere where she hit the guy with the chain and it wrapped around his neck.

The reason why, was when I saw that last year I had a issue with the way the chain "conveniently"did that when Id seen that scene. I thought it was stupid how the chain clung around the guys neck and killed him the way it did.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Richard Travale

My question about last night's episode is what did the Queen mean when she said that Eric was the oldest and most powerful Vampire in her Queendom? I realize that would have been Godric(or was it?)...but what about Vampires like the Magistrate(that forced Bill to turn Jessica)? Why would Eric just be a Sheriff if he is older and more powerful than the Magistrate was?
Political maneuvering? Many of the vampires seem just as petty as humans so maybe the magistrate just kissed ass better or knew the right vampires or maybe Eric didn't want the gig.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Richard Travale

My question about last night's episode is what did the Queen mean when she said that Eric was the oldest and most powerful Vampire in her Queendom? I realize that would have been Godric(or was it?).
Godric was Sheriff of the Dallas/Ft.Worth area of Texas (under King Steve I think). It so far hasn't been explained which governing system the Magistrates fall under, there may be one for every kingdom, maybe several kingdoms share the same magistrate.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Godric was Sheriff of the Dallas/Ft.Worth area of Texas (under King Steve I think). It so far hasn't been explained which governing system the Magistrates fall under, there may be one for every kingdom, maybe several kingdoms share the same magistrate.
Perhaps the Magistrates are parallel to the sheriffs/kings/queen?

They seem to be like the "judicial" branch, while the sheriffs/kings/queens are the "executive" branch?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Overall I enjoyed this season but did feel that the finale was a bit weak. Here is a link to a cool interview with Alan Ball. Warning, there are some spoilers about the next season. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32843969/ns/entertainment-television/

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Well, the interview kind of answered my question. Apparently each state has royalty.

Alan Ball did say the Lousiana Queen was 400 years old though...a friend of mine who read the books said that she was many thousands or years old. If she's only 400, then Eric(being 1000 years old) could have had her teeth as earrings.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
That's exactly what I was coming here to ask about... Why would a 400-year-old vampire be that much more powerful than a 1,000-year-old vampire (assuming age is a big factor in vamp ability)? If it's a change from the books, it's a change that doesn't seem to make much sense.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

That's exactly what I was coming here to ask about... Why would a 400-year-old vampire be that much more powerful than a 1,000-year-old vampire (assuming age is a big factor in vamp ability)? If it's a change from the books, it's a change that doesn't seem to make much sense.
I just took it as that she was speaking more in the sense of power. She could kill Eric or have him killed and no one would blink an eye but Eric could never get away with killing the queen. While Eric may be able to physically best her, she pinned him to the ground to show him who was the boss and he couldn't do anything about it.

Plus, the audience doesn't really know anything about the vampire hirearchy so maybe a king or queen gains a 'mystical' power over their subjects when they achieve that position. Either way, it's an obvious question so I can't imagine that it's an error.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Man, aside from a handful of highlights, season 2 was a major disappointment. The Maryann storyline was a complete uninteresting waste of time from beginning to end. Those hoping there would be a payoff certainly didn't get it. I echo that someone said that was one of the worst season finales I've ever seen. I looked at my DVR timeline at least 6 times throughout to see when it was ending.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Horrible season with a tinge of interest with the Eric/Godric/Church stuff. I didn't even finish watching that finale.

As for vamp age...I haven't read these books, but many modern vamp mythos use age as a measure of vamp power. From the way these vamps speak, I assume they are using this as well. Remember when Bill's maker talked about being older and more powerful? There have been other references to age too. Basically, the myth follows that the older you are the more powerful your blood is - stronger, faster, more seductive, the works.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Originally Posted by Quentin

Horrible season with a tinge of interest with the Eric/Godric/Church stuff. I didn't even finish watching that finale.
I almost got to the end of your post, but not quite..

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Great season! Up until Godrich's death. The Dallas storyline was great. So was the Maryanne until the Dallas one ended. Then everything went into the tank. Depressing bad ending to the season with 3 terrible concluding episodes.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I loved season 2 up until the last 2 episodes (the finale), which were terrible. Like others, I was appalled that nearly every bit of dialogue and action in the last 2 episodes was done for laughs (as Ian pointed out earlier). Not only was the town-gone-mad veering into farce, but also all the scenes in the palace of the Valley Girl-esque Queen. All the regular characters felt like their actors were barely in character, like maybe it was all shot after a holiday break or something. Eric Stackhouse may be stupid, but he was never, ever, portrayed as a joke before. It upset the reality of the show to have characters being written so poorly. I'd have thought the actors would have objected when they saw the script.

That said, the very ending of the finale -- the last of the many Lord of the Rings type endings that kept coming up before the end credits finally emerged -- was solid. Sookie not knowing what to say, trying it on in the bathroom, coming back out -- that was perfect because it felt real. Probably the only perfect moments in the last two hours. Poor Bill.

I can forgive the whole Maryanne storyline since, even if it was sort of a B-story not relevant to the larger Sookie/Bill or Vampire arc, I'd rather have them play out an irrelevant story now, rather than, say, using up all the vampire story elements too quickly. At least this way we have season 3 to look forward to. That said, this show will never reach season 4 if they do this kind of tangent for that long again. These diversion storylines should be maybe 3 episodes long, max. The Mayanne storyline was important only to the extent that it gave Sam Merlotte a brief connection to others of his kind.

I HATED THE QUEEN! I was confused by the dichotomy of her supposedly being an old vampire, and yet having the interests and expressions of a modern teenage or early-20s girl. That the tv show changed her to a "younger" 400 year old vampire helps smooth that out a bit, but not entirely. She doesn't command any respect, and I'd assume that is because the actress sucks, but, I believe I've seen her in a Wim Wenders film where she was good. But I wouldn't mind if they recast her, or at least rewrote her so that she was not one degree away from a Valley Girl.

I assume she wants her blood distributed so that she can sense the mood of the entire local population (or at least everyone who has taken a dose of her blood).

I wanted the new redhead vampire to find out if there was indeed an operation she could resolve her problem. I imagine there'll be some kind of "surgery done by silver blades" or something. I'd have thought she'd have gone straight to Eric's nightclub to find out from Eric's female partner what can be done. About her last scene in the truck, I'd like to think she was just doing that out of despair, and she will eventually get back together with her boyfriend. The writers did a lot more with her character this season than I ever expected, and I am glad for that. Though believe it or not I did expect the virginity issue to come up (and was surprised it did!).

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
In the way that his dialogue during his Rambo trip was far more stupid than a real person could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks