What's new

True Blood: Season Four (1 Viewer)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I caught one of the back to marathon showings on HBO last weekend to see what all the fuss was about. Once I watched an episode it couldn't stop watching. I'm hooked. Now that "Game of Thrones" is done I have something else to watch on Sunday nights.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A pretty intense season premiere, and those previews of the season ahead really look awesome. Looking forward to enjoying another season of this series.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Unlike game of thrones, this series has been Very different from the books. I think I"m out. The differences are now ones where the differences from the books are too significant to the point where the series isn't very enjoyable, and now there is no reconciling the books to the series. I just.. I'm sure it'll be popular, but not for me,

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I grasp that the books are short and open for sub-stories that aren't in them, and I've been "eh" about book changes to the series as long as they worked. But now they've worked 3 changes that I just don't see how they can work with any mythos:

12 months have passed. In those 12 months:

* Bill is now King. How is this possible under any situation played out in the TV series (not the books) ? Since Season 1, he's been low man on the totem poll.. and younger then all the other vamps, how the hell do they pull that off?

* Tara is now a gay boxer. God, can they just let this character go.

* In 12 months Jason has went through Police Officers training, got a job, and is now the first in line at the sherrifs office, after he also points out he spent "months" looking for her. Totally turned his life around.

For the sake of convenience, we've just made wholesale changes in characters because it'd be "interesting".. but it just isn't very good.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I haven't read the books and really have no interest in them.

This is more of a guilty pleasure show for me. It's more than a bit goofy at times, but still kind of fun.

I like Tara, most of the time. But they could get rid of Arlene. She's far more annoying.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I liked Seasons 1 - 3, it started getting silly in season 3 and this season 4 premier I was actually laughing.

Maybe Sookie's scenes were dream sequences - then maybe I could understand the goofiness. I'll still watch, mostly because I have an issue where once I start watching something, I won't stop until the series end.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Read some reactions by those who have read the books, and many are not happy with the changes in characterizations that this season premiere offered. I didn't think season 3 was all that great, so the bloom is quite off this rose, but it's not like there's much else to watch in the summer, so I'll stick with it until it's turgidly bad. Plus, I still like how Jessica is being developed and Ms. Woll is literally vamping it up quite nicely.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Bill is now King. How is this possible under any situation played out in the TV series (not the books) ? Since Season 1, he's been low man on the totem poll.. and younger then all the other vamps, how the hell do they pull that off?
I assume he killed the Queen in the fight that began at the end last year and he was crowned King because of that. Whatever the reason, I'm sure it (and the other cliffhangers from last year) will be resolved.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Season 2 ended terribly, I agree. But, as a whole, Season 2 made up for the lame ending with Godric. Granted, that thread peaked in the middle of S2, but it was a high point the show hasn't achieved since. Not even close.

Last night was boring. I wasn't sure I'd tune in, but I did. And it was listless and pointless, and I was bored. The only reason to continue to tune in is Eric. That may not be enough.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
This show is definately a guilty pleasure, but I always find myself looking forward to seeing it, but bored while I watch it. I want more cool stuff to happen, but usually doesn't. Oh well.

Good news, Boardwalk Empire in September. Looking ahead, after it's 12 episodes, presumeably ending in early next year, what is next come Jan 11 till Game of thrones next spring?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

Hopefully Tara gets thrown into a wood chipper this year. Can't stand her!

She is ruining the show, along with Jason. In the books they're both relatively minor characters, so their elevation to lead characters in the series and the plots written especially for them become ever more ridiculous.

Aside from character names, this series has pretty much just thrown the books by the wayside at this point.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

She is ruining the show, along with Jason. In the books they're both relatively minor characters, so their elevation to lead characters in the series and the plots written especially for them become ever more ridiculous.

Aside from character names, this series has pretty much just thrown the books by the wayside at this point.

It gets worse in Episode 2. Episode 2 of this season throws away the backstory that they laid out for Bill in the last few seasons and completely replaces it wholesale. It's as though they count on us forgetting everything that happened regarding his past and accept this new and altered storyline.

I feel a bit like watching Buffy Season 5 the first time at the very beginning.. maybe it will right itself and all of this is the result of a spell, because whew, the smell of how potentially horrible this is .. crazy.

Edit: my wife reminds me the second episode does have all the key points of book 4, though set very differently. I'll wait and see I suppose.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Anyone know if the episodes will be available in iTunes or Amazon? And if so, how soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks