What's new

Tru Calling (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Rather convienent to find out...

That the chick was going to off herself at the last minute

Rather poor writing, to be honest. Also, why the hell is Dru running all over the place? Doesn't she know how to take a cab?

Jason

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well it seemed like they wanted to emphasize her being a track star. I'm not sure if that was to backfill/justify all the running or to just make it REALLY clear she was a track star. Anyways, with the timeline gimmick and all the running I couldn't help thinking of "Run Lola Run."

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
:thumbsdown:

This one is off to a pretty forgettable start. If it does not improve a lot and in hurry, I suspect it will be yanked off the air in about 4 or 5 weeks.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
The premise was a good idea but the show itself just didn't do it for me. I think we get the idea that his a Halloween version of the movie Groundhog Day so the constant rewinding in time special effect quickly became annoying.

And what was with the comment around the halfway point "previously, on the first half of Tru Calling.." and then another recap? Are they assuming that the entire audience suffers from ADD and needs to be reminded of what they just saw 20 minutes ago?

I was really hoping to be blown away by this show, as I think Eliza is one attractive lady and I would enjoy watching her perform well but this show wasn't the case. But hey, at least they had an encore of "24" right after it.:emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
All the fast-rewind editing reminded me of Keen Eddie. Unfortunately, the writing wasn't on a par with that terrific show.

Rob

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I think the show failed to deliver in the first episode, and was entirely too predictable. Hopefully with the burden of establishing characters and backstories out of the way the show will improve, but they're going to need better writing than what we saw last night.

Also, why the hell is Dru running all over the place?
Well, the show is a pretty blatent ripoff/combination of Run Lola Run (hence the running), Early Edition, and Groundhog Day.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
To paraphrase Chandler from "Friends",

just like Baywatch, "the running is the genius of the show....!"

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
And what was with the comment around the halfway point "previously, on the first half of Tru Calling.." and then another recap? Are they assuming that the entire audience suffers from ADD and needs to be reminded of what they just saw 20 minutes ago?
I was wondering about that recap, too. That was really strange.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think that was their way of dealing with anticipated post-Friends channel changing. Tough time slot.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
They did a similar thing on the first season of Gilmore Girls when it was in the same timeslot. Unfortunately, this week's Friends was "super-sized", so it might have been for naught.

//Ken

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I just figured the recaps, where there, so that anyone who tuned in late would know what was going on, Not that it was needed as the whole show can be summed up as Eliza running around (which would of been great if she where in a wet tank-top) and following some girl, telling her that she is going to die.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I thought the premise sounded more like a cross between "Joan of Arcadia," "CSI," and "Early Edition." :)

In the final anaylsis, it seems like a very limiting concept and they're going to have trouble keeping the show fresh should it survive. This will get repetitive real fast.

Hopefully, we'll end getting a Faith series out TC's likely demise.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The writing WAS pretty weak.

I think someone committing suicide would be pretty obvious as the gun would be laying next to the body. It seems silly that the paramedic would have no idea what was going on around the crime scene.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ditto. She knew that it didn't happen at nine, when what's his face came over. She should have stayed there until ten.

They might be able to fix this series, but all of the running has to go, along with that recap! That was the dumbest thing I have ever seen!

Doesn't anybody own a VCR anymore?

Glenn

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Smallville used to ddo the recaps all the time.

I agree this is a great premise, but the excecution seems a bit lacking. Besides that a suicide should be obvious from the gun being there, it shoudl be prett easy to tell the difference between an entry wound and an exit wound in these circumstances.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to watching this pilot this past weekend, and through the entire episode, I kept thinking to myself:

"Run Tru Run!"

While they established that Tru has these strange premonitions, they didn't do a good job explaining the hero complex she has, which would make her go running all over the city. The running part felt too forced. The rest of the plot felt like a mish-mash of ideas where the whole was less then the sum of the parts (so far).

I don't see a bright future for the show, but maybe the next few episodes will prove me wrong.

It was nice to see Hudson Leick on TV again, though.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, it was weird to see Hudson in such a role after seeing how strong she was in Xena as Callisto. I guess they call it casting against type.

And then to have Jonathan Haymes Newton show up as sort of a jealous ex-boyfriend. Newton played Superboy in the late 1980's. It's like this show the refuge of actors from the action/fantasy TV genre...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks