Tru Calling - Season 1 on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ryan_Guah, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Ryan_Guah

Ryan_Guah Stunt Coordinator

With TV Show seasons becoming more closely released between the original airdate and DVD releases, does anyone think its possible we may be seeing Tru Calling Season 1 before the end of the year? With the announcement of the O.C. coming to DVD, it sounds like it could be possible, especially if Tru doesn't come back for another season. Anyone else agree?

2. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I think it's possible either way. If it comes back for season 2, it'll be getting better ratings (no friends to compete with)... but it'll need a boost. I bet they'd release a set to catch fans up.

If not, they could release it to make a quick buck while it's still on the public's mind.

Who owns the rights?

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

IMDB lists Fox and "Original Television", which is likely Marty Adelstein, Neal Mortiz, and Dawn Parouse (going by shared credits with Still Life) and probably doesn't have a piece of the copyright.

4. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I wouldn't count on seeing a failed series on DVD so quickly. Not from Fox. Of course, if it doesn't fail and indeed gets renewed, it's a different story.

5. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

They released both seasons of "Dark Angel," which was pretty much a flop despite getting two seasons.

I suspect the reasoning there was to give the fanboys DVDs of the series so they could drool over Jessica Alba.

I could certainly see them releasing "Tru Calling" whether or not it gets picked up for a second season, for similar reasons.

(I'm rather hoping it doesn't, because I very much want a "Faith" series. [​IMG] )

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Isn't that exactly what happened with FIREFLY? and that lasted even less time than Tru Calling.

7. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

I really like the show and would buy the DVD boxset.

After a weak start it got better every week.

And after what Whedon did to Buffy and what he is doing to Angel right now I really don't want to see another Whedon show ever again.

On some Eliza Dushku site I've read that the reason there was no 'Faith' show was that she was so disappointed by the Buffy and Angel shows she did last year that she didn't even want to talk about doing a Whedon show.

8. Ryan_Guah

Ryan_Guah Stunt Coordinator

The reason there is no Faith show, is because she is doing Tru Calling. She was interviewed on Access Hollywood in November where she said in a sly voice "I'd make a bet you'll all see Faith again..." and left it at that. She always commends Joss on his work, and I really doubt it had anything to do with the quality of the shows, which in my opinion, is amazing, as always.

They gave Firefly the DVD treatment, and that lasted only two months. So maybe there is hope for Tru on DVD yet. 20th Century Fox owns the rights, I believe, so it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Failed series don't usually get the DVD treatment. Firefly is the exception, not the rule, and I'll bet that was meant as a sop to Whedon, who remains part of the Fox TV production enterprise and is no doubt someone with whom Fox wishes to preserve a relationship. Besides, they'd spent a lot of money on a failed show, and this was a chance to get some of it back.

The prospect for Tru Calling on DVD probably depends on how it finishes out the season.

(Dark Angel was mentioned above. The first season was considered a success, which is why the show got renewed. The second season -- in a different time slot, with a different narrative direction and a lot of ill-considered changes -- was the flop. Jessica Alba says as much on her commentary for the final episode of season 1.)

M.

10. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I would also buy Tru Calling in a heartbeat! this show is really right down my alley... I love anything dealing with the supernatural or horror related. I have been watching Tru from the beginning and in my opinion it is just getting better with every week that goes by.

As much as I loved Buffy and still do love Angel. I am glad she went with this instead of making Faith... As awesome as she was as Faith... this gives us something completely new and fresh to watch. Not that if Tru calling fails I wouldn't want to see a Faith series... but I am thrilled with what we did get. I am also hoping for a return of Faith on Angel here and there.

11. RossH

RossH Stunt Coordinator

Ross Hudgins

And what's wrong with that?! [​IMG] Same reason "Honey" should be released ASAP. [​IMG]

I haven't seen Tru Calling yet, but I'd definitely check out a DVD release.

12. Brian_FSullivan

Brian_FSullivan Stunt Coordinator

Actually "Dark Angel" was far from a flop: 10.24 million viewers watched the first season on average (including 17.4 million for the pilot). That's more than watched the first season of "24" (8.62 million on average) and both aired in the Tuesday, 9:00/8:00c slot on FOX. It was only when it moved to Fridays (and IMHO when the show's quality took a major nosedive) that viewership tumbled to 6.02 million on average.

13. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

Any news regarding this?

It will get a second season so Fox should get a boxset out before fall to allow people to watch season one.

14. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I love Tru Calling and would buy this in a heartbeat! Not only did I watch every episode when it aired I also got several people hooked on the show as well. I am thrilled it got renewed and would like to see Fox release season 1... If by any chance they could get it out before season 2 starts I am sure it would bring in more fans for the show and ratings would be better... but thats pretty short notice so not expecting that.

15. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

FOX is repeating episodes from Tru Calling season one this summer.