What's new

Troubleshooting Receiver: Sometimes no audio from one speaker (1 Viewer)

Butters

Auditioning
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
2
Real Name
Mike
Hello. I’ve been having an issue where audio sometimes only comes out of one speaker unit (always the same one). I’ve noticed that when this happens the subwoofer still works but not the normal speaker. I have checked the connections to the stereo base (including cutting and stripping new piece of wire). The speaker will work fine for a while, then go out, stay out for while but then go back on.
In a troubleshooting effort, I switched the connection ports of the speakers, since either speaker can be used in either ports. Now only the left speaker is doing it, where before it was the right. This makes me believe that it is an issue with the main base/receiver, not the speaker. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this? Even if not, just am wondering what is the cause of it since I spent some decent time troubleshooting.
 

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2000
Messages
17,989
Location
A Mile High
Real Name
John
It's not the speaker.

Is this an older receiver with dials for the volume/selector/etc? If so turn all the dials back and forth to see if it goes away. In fact, there is another thread just in the last day or two regarding the exact same problem.


Here's the other thread.
 

Butters

Auditioning
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
2
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the info John. You asked about the stereo. It does have 4 knobs for adjustments, the stereo (not home theater system) is about 7 years old. (When the stereo is turned on the face plate moves back exposing the knobs) Besides this issue the system still performs excellent, hence why I figured I would try to fix it. I do believe you are right in that, when it cuts out, moving the volume knob for a while can make it come back on. I did move the knob back and forth a bunch of times but didn't really spend a great amount of time on it.

I tried spraying some deoxIt in the crevice space between the knobs. It looks as pretty much most of the area behind the knob is protected by a back panel, except for one small space (at least for the volume knob). I took off the cover of the unit, but the area where the knobs are is totally surrounded by plastic pieces, which has a bunch of circuit boards around it. There appears to be several gear like mechanisms in the plastic section, although I can see no movement occur from moving the knob from the back.

The deoxit from where I sprayed did not seem to do much, I also sprayed some compressed air when the cover was off but I doubt it will do much, as a said it is mostly covered. It would be possible to remove the plastic area, although it probably would be quite difficult. The fact that the volume knob causes issues makes me wonder if just using a remote may avoid it. Also sorry for the delay in the reply however, since this only happens sometimes, it takes me some time to see if something worked. Plus I am really slow at getting to things, ahaha. Anyways, thanks for your advice and any further advice is certainly welcome.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
355,195
Messages
5,072,938
Members
143,838
Latest member
phyllisbernhard
Recent bookmarks
0
Top