troubleshooting rear speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Cooper, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Ben Cooper

Ben Cooper Auditioning

I just moved into an apt. and I'm trying to set up a very basic home theater system in the living room. I have an older Pioneer Dolby Pro-Logic receiver (model# VSX-453) that is hooked up to a DVD player. The problem is that I can not get any sound from the rear speakers! I have turned the rear speaker sound volume up, as well as hooking the rear speakers up to the front to confirm that they weren't blown. I have the receiver in pro-logic mode, etc. because the two front speakers and the center channel works and I can get white noise from the front 3 channels in the test mode. Any ideas for troubleshooting this frustrating problem?!
    P.S. I tried a topic search on this but the search engine was temporarily unavailable.
    -Thanks
    Ben

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Ben, upgrade to Dolby Digital. [​IMG]
    I'd give you more advice on fixing your Pro-Logic problem but I really need to check the user manual on my old Pro-Logic receiver to check on some things first (it's just been too long since I've used it). If nobody else offers advice before I get home from work, I'll pop back in here and see what I can do.
    I seem to recall 2 different Pro-Logic settings. One was Dolby3 the other was Dolby Surround (I think that's what they are called). Dolby3 only uses the front speakers. Double check your settings.
    Really, if you can afford to upgrade to DD then I'd really ditch that DPL receiver. You will enjoy much better sound even with an inexpensive DD receiver.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Hi Ben,
    I went through the same frustrations myself with my Pioneer ProLogic receiver around six months ago. I didn't even realize then that I was using yesterday's technology. After spending hours trying to get some decent surround sound from my rears, I bit the bullet and got a moderately priced Dolby Digital/DTS receiver (I wished someone had suggested doing so much earlier). I'm thrilled with the results, and I've learned tons since then.
    Hey, you can always sell your old receiver on ebay.
    Best of luck,
    Jon
    ------------------
    "This one goes to eleven." (Nigel Tufnel)

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ben,
    First, Welcome to the Forum!
    Check your menu settings to make sure the receiver is not set to Dolby 3. That was an option for people who didn’t have rear speakers; it folded the rear channels back into the front L and R.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

OK, I checked my old receiver and it calls it Surround 3 (it's a Technics). This is what Wayne referred to as folding the surrounds back to the front, and I called it Dolby3. If you aren't even getting a test signal from your rear speakers than it either needs to be put into Surround mode, or your circuitry is fried.
    Also, check your speaker wiring and make sure negative from the receiver matches with negative on the speaker. If you have one of them crossed then the speakers would be out of phase and the sound would be "muffled."
    I still say that if you want a good surround system, since you have DVD, you should go ahead and get the DD setup.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]