What's new

Troubleshooting Onkyo Receiver Set-up w Audyssey (1 Viewer)

Stressedoutpete

Auditioning
Real Name
pete
I have a new Onkyo receiver. The Quick Start (Audyssey) menu appears - I test the speakers. It asks for me to set up a microphone by the speakers ... I don't have one but, I can tell the speakers are working well; the sound test tells me this. Now ... I can't get out of the Quick Start set-up. I can't figure out how to leave Audyssey and start setting up other items on the receiver. I've tried everything. Can anyone help me get this receiver in working order?
Thanks.
Pete

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It asks for me to set up a microphone by the speakers ... I don't have one but, I can tell the speakers are working well; the sound test tells me this.
If you don't have a mic connected the sound test isn't doing its job and you can't tell anything from the sound test. "Working well" doesn't mean that there is sound coming from each speaker, it means that each is calibrated according to your room.
To rest the set-up, I think you have to turn off the receiver and unplug it for anout 5 minutes.
If you cantt get the proper mic (recommended), then you'll have to get a calibration disk and an SPL meter. The disk will walk you through what to do.
http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355481008&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=audiocalibration+disk
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Digital-Sound-Level-Meter/dp/B005JX2EZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355480955&sr=8-1&keywords=spl+meter
If you just wan tto hear something that isn't horrible, but not optimized (and trust me, it won't be the best sound yo ucan get from the receiver), go into the setup in manual mode and make some standard settings. You didn't say what speakers you're using or home many. But if you are using tower speakers and a sub, set the speakers 60hz crossover, bookshelves use 80hz, satellites 120. Do this independantly for each pair (front, surrounds, rears). You can also set the distance by using a ruler. Setting the volume adjustment depends on your room acoustics and that's where you really need the mic.

Stressedoutpete

Auditioning
Real Name
pete
Al.Anderson said:
If you don't have a mic connected the sound test isn't doing its job and you can't tell anything from the sound test. "Working well" doesn't mean that there is sound coming from each speaker, it means that each is calibrated according to your room.
To rest the set-up, I think you have to turn off the receiver and unplug it for anout 5 minutes.
If you cantt get the proper mic (recommended), then you'll have to get a calibration disk and an SPL meter. The disk will walk you through what to do.
http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355481008&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=audiocalibration+disk
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Digital-Sound-Level-Meter/dp/B005JX2EZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355480955&sr=8-1&keywords=spl+meter
If you just wan tto hear something that isn't horrible, but not optimized (and trust me, it won't be the best sound yo ucan get from the receiver), go into the setup in manual mode and make some standard settings. You didn't say what speakers you're using or home many. But if you are using tower speakers and a sub, set the speakers 60hz crossover, bookshelves use 80hz, satellites 120. Do this independantly for each pair (front, surrounds, rears). You can also set the distance by using a ruler. Setting the volume adjustment depends on your room acoustics and that's where you really need the mic.
Tha

Stressedoutpete

Auditioning
Real Name
pete
Thank you. A lot of good advice. You mention using manual mode. I can't seem to get out of Auddessey Quick Start at all.... How do I get to manual mode? Quick Start keeps looping me around, I'm testing over
and over and cannot leave quick start set up. I'm allowed to only test speakers at this point. I out of quick start mode?! :) how do I overuse quick start?
Thanks again for your help. I'm very close to returning the receiver.

Stressedoutpete

Auditioning
Real Name
pete
Thank you. A lot of good advice. You mention using manual mode. I can't seem to get out of Auddessey Quick Start at all.... How do I get to manual mode? Quick Start keeps looping me around, I'm testing over
and over and cannot leave quick start set up. I'm allowed to only test speakers at this point. I out of quick start mode?! :) how do I overuse quick start?
Thanks again for your help. I'm very close to returning the receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you've got it stuck in purgatory...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDYSSEY-TUNING-MICROPHONE-ACM1HB-MARANTZ-DENON-ONKYO-/271119137627?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1ff5bb5b

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Any chance you have a remote button that is stuck? Try removing the batteries in the remote and then powering on the AVR.

Stressedoutpete

Auditioning
Real Name
pete
I took the batteries out, replaced with new, same brand batteries. Check the buttons they look ok. Is there a code to use to switch to manual mode? There must be a way to by-pass quick start.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Stressedoutpete said:
I have a new Onkyo receiver. The Quick Start (Audyssey) menu appears - I test the speakers. It asks for me to set up a microphone by the speakers ... I don't have one but, I can tell the speakers are working well; the sound test tells me this. Now ... I can't get out of the Quick Start set-up. I can't figure out how to leave Audyssey and start setting up other items on the receiver. I've tried everything. Can anyone help me get this receiver in working order?
Thanks.
Pete
What's the model number of your new Onkyo? If you bought it new it should have come with the Mic in the box, btw.

Stressedoutpete

Auditioning
Real Name
pete
So, I finally reached a person at Onkyo. Apparently, this start up program was not supposed to be installed on this receiver. So ... It's defective. Onkyo said there was a small batch with this problem. Oh well. Thanks for all your great feedback!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks