troubleshooting audio cutting out

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by AlexGoodman, Oct 21, 2003.

1. AlexGoodman

AlexGoodman Agent

Hi. My audio has cut out on me three times while watching two different DVDs in the past two days. For two of those times, the audio didnt even come on at the menu screen. Turning the DVD player off and back on seems to rectify the situation. I assume, then, that something is wrong with my DVD player purchased a few weeks ago (Sony DVP-NS325), but I was wondering if there was a way to troubleshoot exactly which component it might be. I have had no audio troubles until now. I'm running an Onkyo receiver, Ascend Acoustics speakers (two CBM-170s and a HTM-200 center), and an Acoustic Research sub. I want to show horror movies soon, but I'm worried about an embarrasing audio problem. Any help you can give me woudl be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

First step always is to re-check every cable and speaker connection for a good, snug fit just in case that is the problem.

If you suspect the DVD-player, try to plug it into another system. This will tell you if it is the DVD payer at fault.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I saw this a few times over a couple of years on my old setup. I powered down then up, and the problem was resolved. It never happened frequently enough for me to do indepth problem solving though. In your case, when the audio cuts out, try playing a cd, the radio or something else and see if you still do not have audio. This will help boil it down a little as to which component is causing the problem.