What's new

Troubleshooting a problem with surround speakers causing receiver to shut down (1 Viewer)

jron

Auditioning
Real Name
Joren Rapini
My first time posting and looking for help for any sort of home theater problem like this, so I'm not sure where the best places for me to go are at all and what the best info for me to provide is, so please let me know if I need to go in another direction, and thanks ahead of time!

I have a Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver and a 5.1 set of Paradigm Cinema DSP speakers. Since the problem I'm having is with the rear channel, the model for those speakers is paradigm Cinema ADP v3, I can't find much info on them but here's an ebay page

The issue: I've had this entire set for about 3 years now. Up until a few months ago, I've never had a problem with any of it. Now the receiver will power down when I play anything that uses surround sound at a relatively loud level.

I've done hours of troubleshooting and process of elimination to try and figure out the problem. All of my conclusions conflict with each other, so that's why I'm completely at a loss next. I just want to find out what to buy and replace it. Here is a list of my troubleshooting:

[*]When I googled this issue, most people said it was typically caused from people leaving too much copper out and some ends touching. I haven't change my speaker wire since 3 years ago when I first set this all up, but I said what the hell and cleaned up all of my wire cutting for all of them, so they're immaculate
[*]Problem seems to be getting worse as time goes on, will shut down at quieter and quieter volumes. Can no longer even watch a movie with DTS or play a game with them hooked up
[*]Problem ONLY ever occurs when rear channels are being used. Doesn't matter how loud it gets up front, receiver never powers down
[*]Tried different speaker wires that I knew were good, still powered down
[*]Tried hooking up the surround speakers to the front channels, still powered down (you would think that would eliminate possibility of receiver or wiring being the problem then...)
[*]So my next step was to try a friend's speakers for the rear, couldn't get very far as one of them blew and caught fire. Neat (they were a cheaper pair of Onkyo SKF-380's)
[/list]
I was pretty convinced that the speakers were some how the problem until I tried another pair and one blew up really easily. Now I'm not so sure. It COULD have just been coincidence, or it could be the receiver I guess, unfortunately I don't know enough about HT equipment to know at this point. Can anyone help?

jron

Auditioning
Real Name
Joren Rapini
schan1269 said:
Blew and caught fire?Seriously...or figuratively?Sounds like one (or both) rear channels are shorting out.
Electrical fire, sorry. Made horrid popping noises and then I could smell it from the other side of the room almost immediately. Was a bit of a surprise

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, that's an interesting one. The only time I've known of anything like that was when I was using a very old and worn out receiver as it finally gave up the ghost and pumped DC into the speaker for a few seconds before dying permanently. There were actually puffs of smoke coming from the voice coil. If this were simply a wiring problem, I can't imagine how it would actually set the coil on fire. The receiver would shut off or die, but I wouldn't think it would actually burn the speaker. My first guess is that the receiver is toast. It could always be something else. Another problem is, if that much heat was generated in the speakers, the wiring between them and the receiver may be permanently damaged as well.

jron

Auditioning
Real Name
Joren Rapini
I took the receiver to an authorized Yamaha repair shop, the guy there seemed to be very confident that it was just the speakers (he pointed out to me how to tell when the voice coil melts and the drivers are bad... both my speakers had very very stiff cones). He felt it was just coincidence that I blew my buddy's speakers since they were just small cheap home-theater-in-a-box units. My speakers I'm getting repaired under warranty now, free parts at least.

I guess I'll find out the hard way whether the receiver actually originally caused the blow if it happens again (putting me out another $75 on labor... bleghhh)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks