Trouble with the DMV

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Danny Tse, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

--Rant mode on--

So I received my truck's registration renewal notice in the mail a couple of months back, along with a request for a smog check. OK, everything is done. Send in my smog check results, with my check for renewal. Check cashed July 17th by the California Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV). Until today, no renewal stickers for my license plate. Nothing! I called DMV and they said everything is in the computer and is OK, but the renewal stickers will not come for another 2 to 3 weeks. WHAT??!! I asked what happens if I get pulled over by a cop and get a ticket for an expired license on my truck. The DMV rep then went on about how the ticket is fixable, and that it's up to the cop to decide whether I get cited. He suggested that I go to my local DMV office to get some Temporary Operator Permit (TOP). So I asked if I have to stand in line for 2 to 3 hours for this stupid TOP, and of course, the answer was basically "Yes". In the end, he said he can't do anything for me. [​IMG] What kind of people runs this place anyway?? What a bunch of morons!!

And being a State employee myself, I see this type of incompetence around me everyday. This really steams me!! [​IMG]

--OK, Rant mode off--

2. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

I know in AZ, if you are pulled over w/ expired tags, If the registration is processing, you can have the ticket thrown out. I got pulled over once for this and the cop didnt even write me a ticket because I showed him my check copy for the registration. If you also register the car before your court date, they will lower your fine by like $400.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    When you do get pulled over, it's never a "here's your ticket, be on your way" situation. They ALWAYS make you wait, I suspect even longer than needed to run your D/L and plate number. [​IMG]

I feel your pain Danny..

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Your chances of being pulled over just for expired tags are about nil in California.

I once forgot to put the sticker on the plate for an entire year on a Camry I had and never was pulled over.

Now if you're stopped for something else, they will possibly also cite you for the tags.

5. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I also whent 364 days without the new sticker on my plates with no tickets. I thought I lost the sticker, turns out it was in hte centre console of truck. I found it the day before I registered my truck this year. However I did forget to switch pink insurance cards in my truck and without fail 3 weeks later I get pulled over.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Steve,

You're right about the chance of getting pulled over for expired tags in California. I will probably win the lottery first. However, I did get a ticket once for expired tags while my car was parked on the street.

It's just such a hassle to go to the DMV and get a TOP, or explain about the expired tag to a police officer if pulled over. When it's NOT MY FAULT.

7. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

10. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

I can't believe CA doesn't have a DMV site for renewals? Or you didn't look?[​IMG]

I remember my last renewal took 15 minutes by going to the DMV website and punching in the credit card number. They even let me print a page which is a valid form of registration for 3 months from the day of printing. Didn't need to tape it to a window either, just present it if asked.

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
  12. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I've used the online system for renewal here in NJ. Works great (no $4 charge BTW). Like Mike said, printout the last page which shows you've paid and keep it in the car until the reg shows up.

13. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Dennis,

We have a $38 billion budget deficit to make up. So fork over the dough!! [​IMG]

14. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Screw that. I mail them a check.

When Ahhhnold's governor, he'll go and shake payment out of all the newcomers who are too cheap to re-register their cars in California and thereby skate on paying reg. fees. Really upsets me when I see out-of-state plates with tags that expired 3 or 4 years ago....[​IMG]

15. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

I don't think the CA DMV web site will let you renew your registration if a smog check is due. At least they didn't a couple years ago when I tried it. I used the web site this year. Paying the extra $4 bugged me, but I have to admit it was quick and easy. I pay all my bills online, so having to write out a check and mail it is not the normal thing for me and I tend to procrastinate. Doing it online right when the bill came probably saved me from being late.

If you happen to be a AAA member, you can take your renewal to any AAA office and they'll give you the registration and sticker right on the spot.

16. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Danny, are you sure this isn't just a random SNAFU? Sometimes it happens. [​IMG]

I've always paid with a check and sent it in right after I receive the notice in the mail - always several months before the renewal date. I've always gotten the sticker back within a week, if you can believe that!

17. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

18. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Send the check the day after the renewal notice comes in the mail.