Trouble with Samsung 27" CRT

Discussion in 'Displays' started by dannyAC, Oct 24, 2003.

1. dannyAC

dannyAC Auditioning

I've got a weird image problem, and I didn't notice it at first 'cause it's really subtle. There's a small area, right down the center of the screen, where everything's just a bit brighter than it should be. It runs the length of the screen top to bottom, and is about an half inch wide.

I barely noticed it until I threw in a DVD with a lot of grays (Ice Age) and it REALLY showed up there. Now, for my troubleshooting thus far:

I don't believe it's related to my signal cables. It's present regardless of whether I'm using composite or component, and since I've also tried running the cables through my reciever as well as directly from their sources to the TV:

I don't believe it't related to my reciever (read previous)

It's present regardless of which input I'm using on the TV. Video 1, 2, Composite or component, and S-Video all show the same problem in the same spot.

Speakers are Klipsch Quintet surrounds. Shielded, so likely not EMI. And no, the refrigerator isn't anywhere near the TV.

I've tried alternate power outlets as well. Still no go. My next step is to start calling Samsung, as I purchased the TV less than 2 months ago. Any ideas in the meantime?

2. James_SCEA

James_SCEA Agent

What's up Danny,

I've had some experience with Samsung TVs. Per the troubleshooting that you have already been through, it sounds like a defect in the TV Set itself.

One thing that can effect brightness levels and some brightness/fading in and out on Samsung TVs is "video noise" filter settings in the menu. I would recommend checking these settings as well as the overal contrast and brightness levels to see if it may help "mask", if not get rid of the problem.

Good Luck
    [​IMG]

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to displays

4. dannyAC

dannyAC Auditioning

That's kindof what I figured. Time to give Samsung a call, and get a 2 month old display repaired. Thanks for the info, though.

5. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

Is it part of their txn line? I had a txn2745fp and it had a similar problem; samsung knew nothing about it and wanted me to take it to a service center 2 hours away. Other people I saw on the AVS forum had this vertical band problem and to my knowledge Samsungs never successfully fixed theirs. I returned mine and am still shopping.

6. Matt_Terpstra

Matt_Terpstra Auditioning

Apparently the earlier revisions had a number of issues which have since been resolved. The distortion you are noticing is inherent to most "Flat" CRT's, as the plane which the shadow mask is on is still just as round as a standard television. While you can compensate for this by using the service menu's broad range of adjustments, nothing will ever be able to completely overcome the effect of the internal curvature. Let me know if you want info on how to get into the service menu to enable the 1080i and to adjust the geometry of your screen. [​IMG]