What's new

Trouble with Receiver and HDMI and Component inputs (1 Viewer)

RyanM3890

Auditioning
Real Name
wx4rt8ly
Hi everybody, A few months ago I purchased this HTIAB: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O0TRDI/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details The speakers sound decent and the receiver works (For the most part) However I have a few questions about the connections. On the unit it has 4 HDMI inputs, and 2 Component inputs. Now I tried connecting both HDMI devices and Component devices to the receiver. The HDMI devices come through fine, but the Component devices only produce audio, with no video. Currently my tv has 3 HDMI inputs, 1 component input, and 1 analog input. And I have 4 HDMI devices and 2 Component devices. I want to be able to plug in and use both HDMI and Component devices into my receiver. Is there a setting on my receiver that I need to adjust, or is this not a capability of this receiver? Is there another receiver I should be looking into? Thanks for your help guys.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Ok, your receiver does not do analog to digital conversion. So you can't go into your receiver with component, and expect it to go out through HDMI. If you have component cables going into receiver, you must also have component cables going out from receiver to the tv. Just know that because of copyrights, you're not going to be able to get 1080p from component. Did you assign the component inputs of the receiver, to whatever you plugged into them? You will surely need to do so, if you haven't. It will be in your receiver's setup menus. How to do it is explained on page 28 of the online manual. Not sure the page is the same in your paper version. If you want to go into receiver with digital and analog inputs, and everything come out of receiver over HDMI only, you'll need a receiver that converts analog to digital. With Onkyo, you'll need the TX-NR609 and up, for that feature. http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR609&class=Receiver&p=f You can probably get it cheaper at Amazon.com. Only thing is, if you get a receiver with that feature, you'll also need a new powered subwoofer, since what you have now is a passive subwoofer. You have no input now for a powered sub, and a new receiver that converts analog to digital, isn't going to have a passive sub input. Sorry, but you get what you pay for. You bought the cheapest HTIB by Onkyo, so you don't get all the features you might like. Stuff like this is why we don't recommend HTIBs very often. If you must get an HTIB, you got the right brand, but maybe not the right model............. Good luck.

RyanM3890

Auditioning
Real Name
wx4rt8ly
So okay, when I first set it up, it looked like there was only four settings? I guess you would call them that, to label the input. It isn't just HDMI 1-4, it's Cabl/Sat, DVR, BD/DVD, GAME. It looks like you can only use inputs that you have assigned labels to. Any idea if there is a receiver where I could use two separate output signals? Say have everything plugged into the receiver, and then coming out of the receiver would an HDMi and Component both connected to the tv, and to use them I would have to switch between HDMI and Component connections on the tv? If there isn't, that's okay. It looks like the receiver you pointed out would solve my issues with a little bit of an investment. Thanks for your help

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
According to the online manual, your receiver has HDMI "OUT", and also has Component "OUT". So, both can be connected to the tv, and as you said above, just change to the right input on the tv, with the tv remote. Of course, you can always get a Harmony remote, and it will do all the changing of inputs and modes for you. You program for the remote online, and download the settings to the remote. It is very family friendly, if there's more than you. I see the component inputs are factory assigned to CBL/SAT and BD/DVD. It would be best to use HDMI for a blu ray player. So if you have something other than a blu ray or dvd plugged into that component input, you'll need to manually assign that input to what you've plugged into it., using directions on the page I told you about. If you use your cable or satellite box, plugged into the CBL/SAT component input, you shouldn't need to program that one, since it's factory set, unless it got changed somehow. I use component cables from my digital cable box, instead of HDMI, because cable doesn't broadcast in 1080p anyway. I use optical or digital coax cable from cable box to receiver for the audio. Just go into the cable box settings and set audio to output as Dolby Digital. Since none of the digital audio inputs are factory assigned to CBL/SAT, you'll need to program the input you use, to the CBL/SAT setting (not the TV input that's factory assigned). The signal from cable and sat for audio, is different than tv signal. That's why it has to be assigned to CBL/SAT instead of TV. I hope all this helps.

RyanM3890

Auditioning
Real Name
wx4rt8ly
I'll do some tinkering around with it this weekend, but it sounds like I should be able to get it set up the way I want. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks