Trouble with my HTPC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Liu, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Jon_Liu

Jon_Liu Stunt Coordinator

I have been toying with my HTPC and I have it currently set at 960x540p resolution. I am content with it this way, however what I ultimately was trying to do is get it to 1920x1080i. Currently it is hooked up via vga breakout cable to the RGB(HV) signal.
    Every time I try to get it to this, the desktop gets all funky. To describe what I see is it looks as though my desktop is divided into two sections straight down the middle, then both sides swiped. So the left portion with my icons and such end up on the right portion of my TV. On top of that, when windows are open and I try to do anything with them, I need to click in a completely separate area to get it to close, move, click or whatever the windows that are open.
    Is there something that I am missing? Is there a very specific hz or timing that I need to input? When I click the info button on my monitor it does in fact say 1080i, even if I am on 960x540. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or better yet, a solution!

I currently have a P4 1.84GHz PC with a GeForce4 Ti4200. I know that this vid card supports that resolution, because I can get 1920x1080 on my regular pc monitor. Anyway, hopefully you guys can help me out here.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
    Jon

2. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

jon,

you have virtual desktop. don't know what os you're using...but under system properties, what monitor are you using? change it to a Sony GDM-W900 and see if that works. you might be sol cause in the past gforce didn't support interlaced resolution. not sure about new ones...

good luck

3. Jon_Liu

Jon_Liu Stunt Coordinator

Well, I think I am SoL. I think it's because it's interlaced that it isn't working properly. That's unfortunate. Anyway, now that I suppose I established that, is there a step down from 1080i that I could possibly use that my Mits WS-55857 would accept? Must be a progressive signal. Let me know if there is some other higher resolution other than 960x540.

Regards,
    Jon

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Did you try 720p?

1280x720, if you're using Powerstrip, it's in the presets.

5. Michael_Scott

Michael_Scott Auditioning

It sounds like one of two things.....

Either your TV does not like the scan frequencies being thrown at it (Try creating a custom resolution and fine tuning it to see if it makes it better or worse.

Or more likely your video card does not like making interlaced video with your driver version. Try a different (not necesserily newer) version of your video card driver.