What's new

Trouble with my amp (1 Viewer)

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I just moved and got my HT set back up. Now I am having a problem with my Rotel rmb-1066 amp. Once I turn off my receiver there is usually a five minute delay before the amp shuts off (via the 12 volt trigger). About 1 minute before the amp shuts off it starts to make a buzzing sound. It is similar to what a refrigerator sounds like when it kicks on. This is the only time that it makes this sound. I have it plugged into the same monster power strip as before and have not changed anything by way of cables or components. I moved from a house to a condo if that helps. I figure it must have something to do with the power but I don't know.

Thanks for any ideas,
Jason

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I don’t have an amp with a 12v trigger and really don’t know much about them, but common sense tells me that the “trigger” the 12v “signal” activates is a relay (which is merely an electrically operated switch).

So it looks like the relay is having problems. The failure to turn off thing indicates sticking contacts.

Perhaps some else can shed more light.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Jason,

I have the same amp but use the signal sense feature without a problem. Try this and see if it makes the same noise just before it clicks off. Also email Rotel. What pre/pro are you using? Try turning of the pre/pro then disconnect the cable running from the 12v trigger and see if it still makes the noise.

Kevin

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
The problem with using the signal sense instead of the trigger is that I tand to listen at low levels and the amp never turns on. I am using a Pioneer 45tx as my pre/pro. I will try disconnecting the trigger cable and see if there is any result.

It is not that the amp is not turning off, because it still does in the same amount of time it did before. It just makes this sound during the last minute before it shuts down. Here is the scenario: I turn off the receiver. Amp lights remain on for 4 minutes. Hum begins. 1 minute later, Amp lights go off (signaling power off) and Hum ends.

Thanks, Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks