1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with hooking up TV to receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by adamman, Sep 24, 2006.

1. adamman

adamman Auditioning

Hello,

I am having some trouble getting my receiver to send a signal to my TV. Here is what I have hooked up so far:

A DVD player sending audio and video to the receiver using component cables.

2 Consoles sending sending audio and video to the receiver using component cables.

A CD player sending audio to the receiver using component cables.

A Cable Box sending audio to the receiver and video to the TV using component cables.

What I want to do is have it so I can switch between the DVD player and 2 video game consoles through the receiver. I have a component cable running from the Monitor Out section of my receiver into Video 1 on my TV, but when I turn on my DVD player and the TV to video 1, I only get my Receiver menu screen.

I have also tried using an S-video cable from my receiver to the TV, but I still get the just the receiver menu on my TV. I have tested this with my DVD player and each of my consoles. The sound works fine, but only the receiver menu pops up on the TV.

Has anyone else run into a similar problem or know what I may be doing wrong? The receiver is a Rotel RSX-965 and I looked at the manual but it should be working according to that. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

OK First you are confusing terms. The Receiver you have does not have any component inputs or output. They are all Composite. Yellow(video) Red and white(analog audio) or digital audio via either of the 2 coax or 2 optical inputs.

If you are bringing in all your video signals to the receiver via the Yellow composite you need a Yellow composite from the Receivers Monitor out to a Composite input on the TV.

If your Cable Box or DVD has acutal Component Video (green,blue, red) You will have to connect those directly to the TV since the receiver does not have component video in/out's. If you don't have a progress scan DVD Player and don't have a HD Cable box then just connect all sources via Composite video and run the single Composite (yellow) from the monitor out of the receive to the TV's Composite in. You can then just leave the tv on the Composite vidoe input all the time without switching and let the receiver do the rest.[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. adamman

adamman Auditioning

Thanks for clearing that up. I keep getting composite and component confused.

Anyways, I went back to my receiver and unplugged everything and to try and see where the problem was. I hooked up everything as it was and then I tried running the DVD video through the receiver and into the TV, and it worked! So I set up everything again and now it works perfectly. I'm not exactly sure what it was, I had ( or think I had ) everything set up as I do now but maybe I had a loose cable somewhere.

Thanks for the help!

4. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] wow that was easy......Glad to hear you are up and running!