1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with fan on technics amp

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AlSam, Aug 12, 2003.

1. AlSam

AlSam Auditioning

Have Technics stereo system bought in 91. Tuner st-k50, deck rs-tr20, cd sl-po825 & Amp su-g50. The fan in the amp never comes on. I think ever since I bought it: it is very clean no dust bunnies. I opened the cover first time on 11 Aug 2003 and let it run for 2 Hrs. I can still touch the fins of heat dissipator but they are hot if touched for 15 seconds or longer. Should fan come on as soon as amp turned on or when the fins reach a certain temperature? Can I continue using it as it is? How do I fix DIY?

Also, speakers go quiet every now and then. When I push the speaker wires to one side or another on the amp, sound comes back. What to do?

I see "mute" on display but I cannot take it out using remote yet I can switch the system on or off with remote. Is there a manual way?

Al

2. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I have a brand new Technics DA-10 amp and the fan only comes on at a certain volume level, so that could be a possibility. If the fan in my amp is burnt out or not working, the amp will shut off once it reaches the point where the fan is supposed to turn on. Chances are your amp is fine. Mine can get VERY hot sometimes, and it's normal, and no damage is caused.

4. AlSam

AlSam Auditioning

Thanks Cam. The mute is gone. One of the remote wires in the back was not plugged properly. However, I shall continue to be very observant every time I use the amp and see what it does.

Also, Thanks Justin. I will be looking forward to a reply once you have checked your parent's amp.

Any help on the speakers will be very welcome:
    "Speakers go quiet every now and then. Actually, every 5 to 10 minutes. When I push the speaker wires to one side or another on the amp, sound comes back. I have followed the owner's manual very diligently. What to do?"

5. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Well I'm not sure what the deal is with the fan. I pushed the amp pretty hard today and it got quite warm but the fan didn't seem to come on. I also don't recall ever having the fan kick in when I used it on sub duty either. I ran the volume wide open when it was on sub duty too. Maybe it only kicks in at extreme temperatures.

As for the speaker problem" Maybe you could try to change the speaker outputs. So, if your speakers were currently hooked up to the A outputs, try the B outputs.