What's new

Trouble with component cable hookup-all one color? (1 Viewer)

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
After the p50v10 worked fine using just hdmi, I tried the setup that would give me surround sound out of my AVR. This meant undoing hdmi and replacing the video feed to the TV with component cables and aduio feed with coax to AVR. Well, the sound worked great, but the color sucked. It was ALL red. I tried both component 1 and component 2 with the same results. I made sure that the correct jacks were in their correct recepticles, color-wise. The SA8300 was set to pass-through. My only thoughts are that either their is something wrong with the compnent section of the TV or that the cables I was using were defective. I'm leaning towards the latter. Comments?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If the cable is defective, it sounds like only the "red" cable and connectors are good (blue and green are MIA). Try swapping the red for blue connections at both ends (it doesn't matter which color cable goes into which color jack as long as it's the same at both ends of the cable). Does you picture change color to blue? If so, then I would say you definitely have a bad cable. If the picture stays red, then the problem is likely with the component jack of either your TV or video source.

Jason

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Hey, Jason, you got it; it was the cable box. Here is how the problem was solved:

In response to this reply from another forum ("With the S/A cable boxes you can run HDMI to the TV and run optical out of that to the receiver for the sound.")...

This issue was the start of all my problems.I kept thinking (reading) that hdmi and coax/opt dig cables caused a sound problem; thus, the reason I planned on going component/coax. However, because of the stated problem I was having (component not working right--TV picture turned shades of red/pink), I gave hdmi and coax a try. Know what? It works. I get a great picture and my Yamaha (lacks hdmi) plays surround sound as it should. So much for my misbelief.

Anyway, I think I've (with the help of the Panasonic Concierge) have solved the mysterious red problem. Did two things to confirm that the most likely culprit is the SA3800HD. First, I unhooked each component cable separately. Unhooking the blue cable didn't change anything...still red (and losy SD PQ to boot), whereas unhooking the the other cables caused either the picture to go blank, or to go shades of white/grey. From this little test one could deduce that either the blue cabe was defective, or the blue terminals (from either the STB or the TV) were defective. But the next test, hooking in just a DVD player to the TV via components, solved the riddle. As this hookup play just fine, it must be the blue terminal out from the STB that is defective. I plan on contacting Comcast and after discussing this with them, expect to get a new SA3800.

What PMO mopst was that I was getting reinforcement about the supposed hdmi/coax issue.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Cool - glad you figured it out. Trying an alternate source for a component signal (the DVD) completely slipped my mind, but it's definitely the simplest way to isolate the problem to a specific component.

Good luck with the new STB.

PGAWOLF

Auditioning
Real Name
Wolf
I was so happy to figure this out I had to take the time to join this site to help others. I have a Sony HDTV and kept hooking up my component cables and got a pic but it was a mostly green hugh. I found the manuel for the t.v. online and what the problem is is the set up in the t.v. With my remote I went to menu/Setup and there the answer lied; you have to set your t.v. to whatever input you are using.(ex:I had to switch from R.G.B to Y PB PR(which are component cables). This solved everything and the second I switched it to Y PB PR it went to full color and a perfect picture. I hope this helps you, it only took me 10 hours straight of research.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks