Trouble with brand new X1... Is it me?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joe Zemaitis, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Joe Zemaitis

Joe Zemaitis Stunt Coordinator

On Saturday I went to Circuit City and bought my very first projector. I got it home, and yesterday, I sware everything was fine. Now today I'm noticing the picture jumping 1-2 inches up and down. When the picture jumps down I can see mostly black line with some white dots and dashes. Its making me ill watching it jump around so much. At first I thought it was my cable TV thats running though my VCR, so I turned on my DVD player which is running though S video and its still doing it! What could it be? I'd call Infocus first, but they're closed today.

Joe

2. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Joe,

You might try a reset on the pj. It sounds like a processor problem, but I have never had anything like this on my X1. It does sound like a pj issue since it isn't source dependent. If your DVD player has progressive scan, you can bypass the scaler inside your pj by using component into the svga input if you have an adaptor.

Dennis

3. Joe Zemaitis

I did a reset and nothing changed. Its still acting up. I plugged my laptop in, and popped a DVD in and everything looks great. No jumpage. It does it on the yellow video connection and the s video. They're both 25 foot cables run, for now, just along the wall, from behind my entertainment center to my desk where my projector is sitting.

Please help me out. Thanks.
    Joe

4. Dennis Gardner

It does sound like it is in the scaler, since when you use the laptop, it is clear. When using the rca in or svideo, the internal scaler chip is turned on. Sounds like a bad chip.

5. Joe Zemaitis

Sounds like I'll be exchanging it tomorrow. I hope it doesn't do it on the second one too!

Joe

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

You know, the one I bought yesterday did the same thing, I don't think it was as bad as yours, but every 30 seconds or so there was a very noticeable jump.

Do you notice any waves moving diagonally across the screen?

7. Joe Zemaitis

Exactly!!!!! I just thought it was maybe the washing maching running at the time causing the lines... The lines were weird. It was like there was a dark section between every other line. If you know what i mean... (probably not). I turned it off, and it still did it. All is well when I plug my computer in though. Hmm... Whats the deal! I got a hell of a head ache from it. I hope the head aches dont happen when I get one that works.

Joe

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

The rainbow effect gave me a nasty headache, every time there was a contrast in light/dark and I moved my eyes or head I kept seeing the rainbow.
    I ended up taking mine back and getting a TV because of it. In my other thread someone mentioned the X2 would be announced soon, maybe it's worth returning your's and waiting the extra month for the X2.

9. Joe Zemaitis

Interesting development.... I was watching the matrix on cable, and decided to turn on the X1... Now there isn't any screen jumping. But there are horiz. lines still... Scrolling up failry slowly. I'm going to give it another day before I return/exchange it. What could the scrolling lines be from? I can see them on my 25inch TV that is in the same room too.... I've never noticed them ever in the past.

Joe

10. Dennis Gardner

The scrolling lines are definately a ground loop. This is normally caused by a poor earth ground on your cable or sat outside before coming into your house. I had to ground mine with the ground on my power meter to stop it.

Since you never noticed them in the past, I bet if you unplug the cables or power going to your X1 then the lines on your 25" disappear. This is grounding issues between components if it stops. Turn your TV on and start unplugging cables 1 by 1 until you find it!

By the way, the headaches will go away after a couple of days. I had vertigo so bad I had to take dramamine to be able to drive after the first weekend with my X1. Your eyes aren't use to trying to focus on such a large area and moving so far to catch the action of the screen. If you are in a large room, sit as far back as you can to minimize this. Rainbows will disappear also, take my word for it. 1500 hours in 12 months on the 25th of this month!

11. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

I have noticed the jumping when viewing analog TV with rabbit ears antenna (don't laugh - I cant get digital TV here yet) on my X1, some days I get better reception than others, it only seems to jump on the bad days, never had any probs with any other sources.

12. Joe Zemaitis

Hm... I'll have to trouble shoot my groud issue. For the jumping, it wasn't jumping last night. It was odd. Maybe its a ground issue also. I doubt the outlets are properly grounded. Thanks.
    Joe

13. Joe Zemaitis

Alright, I unplugged everything except for my DVD and TV and its still doing it. I noticed when the washing machine, in the other room would switch cycles the screen would act like the tracking was messed up, turn black and white, then the picture would have huge vertical lines. What the heck is going on.

Joe

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

sounds like grounding to me as well joe.

15. Joe Zemaitis

It sounds like a electrical ground not a cable ground.... How do I ground my electrical outlet!?!

16. Dennis Gardner

When you said you had only the DVD and TV on. Was your cable disconnected completely?

17. Dennis Gardner

Actually, Joe you don't want to ground outlets, you want to stop whatever grounding is happening. A ground loop is caused when too many different grounds are created, thus causing a loop that consists of different charges being dissipated (arching)to the ground in different areas.

You really want to lift the ground from your electronic outlets to break the loop. You will notice that most components (receivers,dvds, etc) don't have 3 prong plugs, but your X1 does have. The ground loop could be caused by this 3 prong. Use an adaptor on it first to see if it helps.

I wouldn't put one on your washing machine, since standing on a wet floor around a washer or dryer that isn't grounded will find the ground through you & you may have 220 on the dryer. Don't go there.

18. Joe Zemaitis

Fixed the problem! Very weird. It ended up being from the coax cable that was screwed into my vcr. Very very odd. I ended up grounding my coax cable splitter to a water pipe. It was already grounded out side to my electrical guage thing... Or maybe that could have been for my cable modem. Anyways, it looks mcuh better now. Its about 95% fixed. The only way tou can tell is if the screen is nearly completely black... Or on a widescreen movie you can see a faint bar scrolling ont he black bars. Even watching a tape, and not cable via the vcr, the second the coax cable from the wall was plugged in, the very large lines would start scrolling. Until i grounded it. Success!

Joe