Trouble with ABC HD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TimothyP, Feb 14, 2001.

1. TimothyP

TimothyP Extra

I get OTA HD through a Dish 6000 receiver with the 8VSB module. CBS and NBC work great but I'm having a little trouble with Fox, and loads of trouble with ABC. Tried to watch NYPD Blue in HD and got pixelations every few seconds. Also, the video lagged behind the audio slightly.
    This is a consistent problem with ABC.
    My 6000 is set to output 1080i since my Sony 53KPHS10 doesn't handle 720p. The signal strength from the channel is good (high 80's to 90's).
    Anyone else having this problem?
    Any ideas what's causing it?
    I've wondered if the 6000 is having trouble converting the 720p signal to 1080i. Should I replace the 6000?
    Could it be the local ABC station's fault?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Tim

2. Lee Antin

Lee Antin Auditioning

Tim,
    This problem is being discussed at the AVS Forum www.avsforum.com and click on "HDTV Hardware" You might let the forum know about your problem because it seems to be "common" yet DISH denys anything is wrong.
    Lee

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I have the 6000 and having no problems with abc's 720p to 1080i upconverts....
    ------------------

4. TimP

TimP Auditioning

Mike I or others,
    I called DishDepot today (from whom I bought my 6000). Mark told me that there was a bug in the 6000 receiver which compromised its ability to upconvert 720p to 1080i. He believed this to be a problem on ALL Dish 6000 receivers. Thus, there was no point in exchanging my 6000.
    Your experience seems to contradict this. To be certain, here's my question:
    Is there anyone with a 6000 and 1080i-only TV (not capable of 720p) who is able to watch NYPD Blue converted from 720p to 1080i without problems (i.e. output on 6000 set to 1080i)
    Thanks,
    Tim

5. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

I have a Dish 6000 with a Toshiba TN61X81 and I have not had a single problem watching 'NYPD Blue' since they started.

6. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

My local ABC dt channel upconverts everthing to 720p..I have no problem with this or NYPD blue..The channel itself just went on the air this month and is having some problems, but all and all I get a great picture...
    ------------------

7. TimothyP

TimothyP Extra

The previous posts lead me to believe that my problem with ABC HD is due to one of two things:
    (1) I have a bug in my 6000 but not all 6000s are similarly afflicted (i.e. I should get my 6000 replaced), OR
    (2) My local ABC affiliate is sending a bad signal.
    I had assumed that #2 was very unlikely but now I'm not so sure. On the AVS Forum, some viewers reported having a similar problem with a local ABC affiliate which then was fixed. This leads to my next question.
    Is anyone in Maryland (WMAR) able to watch NYPD Blue in HD without problems? If so, are you watching it in native 720p or converted 1080i, and what STB are you using?
    Thanks,
    Tim

8. StevenPodolsky

StevenPodolsky Auditioning

I am able to watch NYPD Blue in HD without a hitch on my 6000 sat. receiver. The picture isn't near as good as any CBS HD feeds, but at least ABC is broadcasting in DD 5.1. I am yet to receive any DD 5.1 from any of the CBS or Fox or NBC feeds.