trouble using Denon 1804 and Xbox

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ashley__cooper, Dec 7, 2003.

1. ashley__cooper

Just got the Denon 1804 the other day and want to use it with my xbox and also my crappy little 19" tv that ony accepts rca in.
    So I went to a store to buy an attachment to use an optical cable with the xbox for the audio. There I found xbox offers 2 options, and both add the ability to use a optical cable for digital audio (they also cost the same):
    1- the 'Advanced A/V' attachment that adds a S-video cable
    2- the 'High Definition' attachment that adds component cables.
    I figured I'd buy the "High Definition" deal and plug the component plugs into the 1804, then use it's 'monitor out' plug to feed into the crappy tv. That way I'll be all set when I buy an HD projector in a few months.
    But, the saleman told me he wouldn't do that as component down conversion like that would put a stress on the 1804 and the resultant picture would also suffer. He strongly advised the "Advanced A/V" attachment saying fewer problems would result. He seemed pretty knowledgable and said he installs a lot of this stuff, so I went with his suggestion.
    This still doesn't make that much sense to me though. Is it really hazardous to receivers like the 1804 to do down conversion like this? Does the picture quality really suffer?
    Sorry for the long post, but does this sound right to you people? Thanks for any help!

2. Darren_N

Darren_N Stunt Coordinator

Ashley,

You may have to go for option anyway because I don't think the 1804 will do component down conversion. However, it will convert S-video signals to composite. If you go with the "Advanced A/V" cable, you could run s-video from the xbox to the receiver and then a composite video cable from the receiver to the TV.

Darren

3. ashley__cooper

Interesting. That doesn't exactly make sense to me why they don't down convert that way, but oh well.
    I'm going to go set up the advanced attachment now and fire this bad boy up for the first time. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.