Trouble updating firmware in SP4805

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jaxon's Dad, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    I posted this in another 4805 firmware thread, but since that thread is more celebratory that a firmware upgrade is available, I fear my post is going to get buried, so I'm starting a new thread.

I've been trying to upgrade the firmware all morning and I'm stuck. I've got the M-1 - DVI cable connected between the proj and my laptop, and am able to get the laptop screen projected on my wall. So the connections are good. According to the instructions, with the projector powered down I need to push both keystone adjustment buttons and then power up the projector. With the keystone adjustment buttons still pressed following power up, the projector should now be in "load state." (When I do this, the lamp does not turn on, but I assume this is due to "Load State.") The status in the Flash dialog box should change from "Waiting for new connection..." to "Connected." I have not yet been able to get to the "Connected" status. This is really tiring since my projector is ceiling mounted. Anyone who has successfully upgraded their firmware - Am I missing something? Any help would be very musch appreciated.

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    You did not mention connecting the USB? Are you using the cable provided with the projector? It has been some time since I upgraded mine, so I forget the exact details, but it wasn't much trouble.
    Dave

3. Jaxon's Dad

Doug
    I didn't connect the USB. Maybe that's it. I'll try that next.

4. Jaxon's Dad

Doug
    USB did the trick. And as I'm connecting it to the laptop, it occurred to me that this was so obvious. I need some stronger meds or something...

5. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Often it is the obvious that gets over looked. that is why the first rule of troubleshooting - Is it plugged in? [​IMG]
    Glad you got it working. Have you noticed any difference?
    Dave

6. Jaxon's Dad

Doug

I mainly wanted to get my proj updated just because I'm anal. What improvements were supposed to happen with the new firmware? I know that this upgrade is supposed to address a flicker that occurred with some DVDs over component video. I noticed a flickering of sorts during The Sum of All Fears. I have yet to check that one out but I did watch Superman and the image looked spectacular. I thought I saw some flicker during the Krypton scenes, however I think what I saw was merely the reflective outfits of the Council going all, um, reflective.

7. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I upgraded my firmware but wound up reinstalling the previous version because there was some other issue that affected the picture and I never noticed what the new firmware was supposed to address. It's been some time since I did that though and I haven't looked into whether there has been yet another firmware release. I think it's a good idea to let go of the need to upgrade for its own sake and see if the upgrade actually is a benefit.

8. Jaxon's Dad

Doug
    From the InFocus site:
    Version
    v1.3.2
    Date
    03-March-2006
    Notes/Enhancements
    Fix for random image flash seen when playing DVD movies
    YUV input improvement
    Improved operation when Macrovision is available (analog inputs)
    480i/576i about menu reporting corrected
    480i/576i overscan corrected
    Save mode now restores phase setting