1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble-shooting VCR setup. No video

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dave snyder, Jun 17, 2002.

1. dave snyder

dave snyder Auditioning

Digital cable box fails, cable guy installs new box and now everything works as before except my VCR works.

VCR is still routed to AV receiver in same manner as before, (when it worked!) and AV receiver has S-VIDEO cable to TV. Playing a video tape produces accurate surround sound, but no video.

Interestingly enough, when I route the VCR THROUGH the cable box, I get a picture and sound, but not when the VCR is routed through my AV Receiver as a stand-alone component.

Any ideas on where to look for the problem? Thanks in advance.

dave snyder

2. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Dave,

There definitely are some inconsistencies here. You say “The VCR is still routed to the AV receiver,” then you say “When I route the VCR through the cable box, I get a picture.” The inconsistency is that the two are incompatible signal paths. The former uses signal cabling with RCA jacks, and the latter uses RF coaxial cables (aka “antenna” cables) with F-connectors. And as Robert noted, it is unusual for a cable box to have an A/V input, like home theater receivers do.

You didn’t say what kind of VCR you have, but since you are using an S-video cable from the receiver to the TV, the only way you will get a picture from the VCR will be if it also has an S-video send - in other words, a Super-VHS VCR. You can’t “mix and match” composite and S-video signals through a receiver. All components have to use the same protocol.

Based on this, I’m guessing the only way you got the VCR’s picture on the screen before was through the antenna cables, with the cable box and TV tuned in to channel 3 or 4. So you need to keep doing that, or else change the cable between the receiver and TV to composite.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    And after all, we're talking about a VCR! If you want picture quality watch D-VHS or a DVD...

7. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Dave said that he had a digital cable box. I'm not sure about other areas, but in the Phila region Comcast digital cable boxes do have component outputs.
    Greg.