Trouble near for Enterprise format?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rex Bachmann, May 5, 2002.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    As a continuation of comments made in the latest Enterprise weekly discussion thread I'd like to know:
    Is it just me, or does anyone else see trouble here?
    :

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I've been theorizing that Gary Graham's character and possibly some of those emotional Vulcans may be the ones that found the Romulans. It has been established that the Romulans are basically emotional Vulcans before

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

It's also been established that Rick Berman cares [email protected]#%-all for continuity. He's said as much in print - that he's sick of "continuity nazis" and doesn't want to hear it anymore... that they created Enterprise so they wouldn't have to worry about continuity.

Mmm-hmm. Good choice. The past never has bearing on the future.

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Romulans have been seriously under utilized, and if Logan makes Nemesis a winner, then bringing them in to Enterprise for an episode or two could be a very interesting move. Imagine TPol having to go undercover as a Romulan - requiring her to act emotionally (and, in Romulan fashion, brutally). Could be a good character development for her, especially if it was a 3-part episode or something ... like a deep cover agent who gets too far undercover and might not be able to be brought back!

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Rex: "Balance of Terror" is the first time humans laid eyes on a Romulan.

Everybody: We've all focused on the problem here and hit it on the nail. Berman thinks the hardcore faithful are "continuity Nazis," and he doesn't give a rip. His own words betray how little he truly cares about the franchise and its legacy. And to think: Berman was once just what the "doctor ordered" when it came to re-energizing Trek during the TNG era. It's just cash cow to him now. He is ruining this franchise. Ruining it.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Jeff, it was my understanding that Romulans "split" from Vulcans a long, long time before humans got involved- so long ago, that most Vulcans didn't even know about it.

In the first of two episodes of the original series involving Romulans, they already had a neutral zone which was established in a treaty at the end of war between the Federation and/or Starfleet and the Romulans.

7. Jeffrey_Scotts

Jeffrey_Scotts Stunt Coordinator

Jack Briggs:

I agree with your post about your feelings. In fact, I even feel that TNG and the other Treks went downhill after Gene Rodenberry passed. To me, Star Trek was always Gene and his vision and no one else gives a rip anymore. Yes, there have been some good shows and a couple of movies. But, it's been a feeling of hit and miss even for them.

Enterprise I'm giving up on if things don't change. Just too much trash and bad script writing for me. Also, like you said, continuity is gone. A perfect example is the episode where the Doctor made the guy look just like the alien species in captivity. This couldn't be done until later and was even something VERY new and complex on TNG.

Jeffrey

8. Michael St. Clair

After 'Voyager' why didn't they sack his sorry ass? If Berman & Braga were baseball managers, they would have been fired many seasons ago.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

11. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Regardless of wether it should be revised or not this is something that should be left alone. Why even have the Romulans in this series? Sheesh even though they have a brand new series here they need to respect the series that have come before it. If they can't come up with a original race to be a antagonist then perhaps they should resign and let some fresh blood take over. There is a Klingon war to fight yet remember?

They have a whole galaxy of adventures to have but they want to reintroduce a race that clearly can be a slippery slope in terms of continuity?

If they would put some thought into it they can come up with this crew's Borg.

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

13. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I agree that there are some aspects that wouldn't make sense due to the technology, BUT that is the way it is. The way it was originally told. Revising that would start upon a very slippery slope where nearly anything would or could be open for revision, any possible interpertation would be open and fair game. Any point of history could be revised then providing someone would write it. Therefore exactly when would it stop?

My Borg comment was made to show that THAT is what they want to do with the Romulans. Once they are introduced AGAIN where do they go from there? There is a limited time span where the Romulans can be effective. It is a bad decision all the way around should they pursue it.

14. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

A big part of the problem, from a continuity standpoint, is the "pre-quel" nature of the show. As far as new alien races go, OK, if the show were in fact to stay faithful to its predecessors, we wouldn't have Romulans, the Klingons would look just like humans in "brownface," and who knows what else! But if the writers were to concoct entirely new and novel alien races to play major roles in the show, one has to wonder, where the hell do they go in the ensuing 100 years (i.e. all the other ST series)? Did they just move and not leave a forwarding address or something?
    To maintain continuity with the other series is certainly preferable from a plot logic standpoint, but from a day-to-day writing standpoint, I can see why trying to navigate thru all the potential plot-line continuity obstacles is something that they would just rather not have to slavishly adhere to. It's a problem, and I dunno how they'll sustain this show for a prolonged period given its built-in difficulties (unless they just plan to contrive as many excuses as possible for Jolene Blalock to wear as little clothing as possible -- bring back TOS's miniskirts! [​IMG] ).

15. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

I can overlook the Klingons because someone stated that Gene wanted them to look like the TMP ones from day one, bud did not have the budget or the technology to do it. Same for the glowing nacells...

I can even accept the Ferengie episode...

But the Trek history has been compromised by the passage of real-time.

I would not put it past TPTB to try to erase vast portions of TOS via the temporal cold war story line. But there are threads into TNG, DS(, and V'Ger. The Trek timeline is becoming a mess...

Either the temporal cold war changes history, or at the end of season 7, Archer and the NX-01 sacrifice themselves to restore the timeline, hence, no mention of NX-01 in history.

Can someone answer me this? In every series, it has been "The Enterprise", "The Defiant", until V'Ger. Then it was just "Voyager". Now, just "Enterprise". It just sounds strange...

16. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Basically I'm not a die hard continuity freak. It's hard to maintain total continuity given what has changed from the 60's to today, 40 years is a long time. Balance of Terror while being a great ep was basically a retelling of "Run Silent Run Deep". the Submarine ideology is all over that ep, right down to the sonar beeps and Kirk telling Spock to "Work Quietly" this is Outer Space not Under water, it made no real sense, but was dramatically very familiar to TV viewers wened on War Films of the Day.

I cut current Trek some slack it tries to maintain, where it can , continuity. But the Powers that Be, don't want to forsake the characters that this current generations, that grew up on TNG not TOS, remembers.

I honestly would just like better and sharper stories on Enterprise and I would be happy.

17. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Win Joy, Jr. wrote:
    I asked this same question in an earlier post. So far dead silence. D'yah think it's because "B&B" want to "distinguish" their "new" show vis-a-vis all Treks that preceded it (just by dropping the "the")? If so, it ain't workin', guys. Try good writing, instead!

18. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Mike Broadman wrote:

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

But if neither Earth nor the Romulans had warp capability, how could they find each other? Space is too big. And if one of them had it, then it wouldn't be much of a fight (assuming the race with the huge speed advantage also had an equally large weapons advantage). The first war between the Romulans and Earth was basically a draw, but this would not happen if one had such a large technilogical advantage.

The only reasonable way for them to meet and fight without one side winning a decisive victory is for both to have warp tech and comparable weaponry.

I personally never put any stock in books about shows, no matter who writes them.

20. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Mike Broadman: