Trouble hooking up DVD player to digital cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Cook, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Brad Cook

Brad Cook Stunt Coordinator

Hi Everyone:

I have digital cable hooked up to my TV (we live in Sunnyvale, CA, and have AT&T Digital Cable), and I couldn't figure out how to hook my DVD player up to it, so I used a VCR that was barely working to run the DVD player through.

Well, the VCR died, so I can't use it anymore, and I can't figure out how to hook the DVD player up to the digital cable. The TV is an older one that just has a cable connection in the back; no red, yellow, and white ports. The DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS300, and it doesn't have a cable connection in the back, so I can't run the cable through it.

The digital cable box does have red, yellow, and white ports in the back, but connecting the DVD player to them doesn't do anything.

So how do I make this set-up work?

Thanks.

- Brad

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Brad, your question is somewhat confusing. Obviously, you have been watching DVDs for some time, according to your post log. Does this mean you have a primary HT in which you can use a DVDp coax/optical output for 5.1 audio plus Component/S-Video/or Composite video cable to the display monitor?

It sounds to me like you're trying use a spare tv and another DVDp in another room.

Without an AVR and no tv video input terminal (yellow) besides the tv's RF terminal, I dont see how you can use the DVD here.

DVD will not interface with the ATT box insofar as I know, but if it does, any sound will be stereo (two RCA cables out of the DVDp).

I do not have the ATT digital service (but they keep sending me their flyers!) Not gonna do it.

3. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

Brad
    you need to get a RF modulator and a A-B coaxial switchbox the dvd goes into the rf mod. then the switchbox along with the coaxial feed from the cable box.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

It sounds like you need an RF adapter with selectable input. I don't know where you can get such a thing, but I'm sure Radio Shack carries one. Any chance of getting a new TV? You really don't know what you are missing by connecting a DVD player to a TV with coaxial cable!

5. Brad Cook

Brad Cook Stunt Coordinator

In reply to Bill's post:

I don't really have a home theater per se. We have two TVs, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. The one in the living room is newer and has the yellow, red, and white ports (I confess that I forget what you call them). I used to have my Sony DVD player hooked up to it, but we got my son a PS2 for Christmas, so we moved the DVD player into the bedroom.

I know I'm missing out on a lot by not having a true HT set-up, but I can't afford to do anything about that right now. I'm self-employed and my income situation is bad at the moment. Ten bucks for an RF modulator and an A-B switch I can handle. A thousand for a nice TV with an HT setup I can't.

At Fry's today, I saw an A-B switchbox, but no RF modulator. What does an RF mod look like? How much will both items cost me?

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

- Brad

6. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Brad,
    RF modulators are usually available in electronic-games departments, since people often need to hook up games to older TVs like yours, too. Typical prices should be under $30. The Recoton DVD647 is one model I've heard mentioned. See http://www.recotonaccessories.com/pr...dvd/dvd647.asp
    Just as on your DVD player, the yellow/red/white connectors on your cable box are outputs only. The video (yellow) and stereo sound (red&white) come out of them. They provide the signals to a TV or A/V receiver.
    Be sure that whatever modulator you get has all three inputs, too: video and stereo audio.
    I hope this clarifies things a little.