What's new

Trouble balancing Onkyo 595 and sub using Avia (1 Viewer)

John Milanski

Auditioning
Strangest thing... I was trying to use Avia to balance my sub (DIY: 12" PE Dayton DVC, 250W amp) and receiver (Onkyo 595). There's a level balance test in Avia that emits a high frequency tone in one speaker, and then a LFE tone in the sub.

So a high tone comes out of the right surround, and then an LFE out of the sub. No problem. A tone out of the left surround, then the sub. No problem. BUT then a tone comes out of the left front, and nothing out of the sub. Instead some LFE comes out of the left front. Hmmm. Then a tone out of the center, and again nothing out of the sub, but some LFE from the center. 2x hmmm. Same for the right front. After checking wires, 595 audio settings, fiddling with sub amp level/crossover/phase, and DVD settings (Toshiba SD4700), I gave up at 1am!

Any idea why I'm getting LFE to the sub from the surrounds, but not from the fronts? I'm stumped, and really need a clue...

Thanks...!

--john milanski

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Fronts set to large and Sub off?

Sounds like a setting thing, but you said it's been covered.

Good luck!

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
This really sounds like you've got the front speakers set to Large. During these tests Avia doesn't send out an LFE signal. It sends out a low bass signal on the various channels. Its up to the receiver's bass management to reroute that bass signal to you subwoofer for any speakers you've set to small. If they're set Large then the bass will go to the speaker instead, as you have described.

BTW, I just put a 12" Dayton DVC in a box for my brother-in-law's car. That thing ROCKS! Its one thing to talk 30mm peak-to-peak excursion, but when you see (and hear) it in action it really puts things in perspective. Now I just have to decide what to do with the other DVC drive I bought.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
On the 595, you have to run the internal level test (where the receiver puts out the white noise) after you do the speaker small/large settings. Otherwise the fronts revert back to large on their own.

Really strange....

I don't have the 595, but I set up my friend's and that's how I know. I actually read about the test tone solution on this board.

John Milanski

Auditioning
Thanks, Richard, I got it to work, once I changed the connection from the DVD to the Onkyo 595 from Multichannel to Digital Coax.

For some reason, when a DVD is connected to the Onkyo 595 with Multichannel inputs, the 595 will not allow me to change the level outs at the receiver and does not seem to send LFE to the sub from the fronts.

Any ideas why it acts that way? Maybe the receiver assumes that anything coming in MultiChannel shouldn't need adjustment?

--john milanski

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks