What's new

Trouble achieving 720p or 1080i... (1 Viewer)

Kyle_T

Auditioning
I was wondering if someone could help me.

I recently set up a home theater system and everything has been great so far.

Currently I have a Rotel RDV-1050 dvd player running into a Rotel RSX-1067. It is run into one of the component video inputs. This is then output to a Mistubishi WS-65813 tv using a component video input on the tv. The cables I"m using for all of these it tributaries delta component cables.

The problem I am having is that I cannot achieve anything greater than 480p out of my system. I don't know what my limiting factor is whether it is my hardware, cables, or software. I have read every manual atleast twice and gone through every menu i could find atleast 3 times but I can't seem to find out how to get better.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Kyle

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The information on DVDs is encoded at 480i, and progressive scanning gets you the 480p signal you are seeing. Your system can't really do any better than that--there's no more information on the DVD for it to use.

Hopefully, HD DVD will take off soon and solve your problem :)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Will you need an HD DVD capable tv to play the HD dvd's or just an hd tv and dvd player. Does that mean we would have to buy all new DVD's?

Kyle_T

Auditioning
Thanx Jonathan for the response. When theses HDDVDs catch on will my Rotel be able to play them? Also how long is it forecasted for dvds with 720p+ to come out?

Thank you,
Kyle

John S

Senior HTF Member
You can get 1080i out from some DVD players. The Zenith DVB-318 us what I use to do it.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
...though again, the 1080i coming out of the player is synthetic. The program material on most discs is 480p encoded to 480i (so it's relatively easy to get the 480p back, less a little Kell-factor filtering. (vertical softening.) )

There are a couple of players on the market now (allegedly) that can play WM9 HD-DVDs - from standard DVD-ROMs. And there are a couple of titles, too. But these won't work (I think) when they go to blu-ray, blu-disc, gren-ray, violet-ray, or whatever they decide to go with for real.

I've got two titles on my shelf that are WM9 discs - 'Discoverers' and 'Step into Liquid.' Discoverers, at least, is from the IMAX, truncated to 16x9, and is played out at 1280x720x30p.

Leo Kerr

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
also, afaik, all the mits only output at 1080i? i know my 65-313 can't do 720p.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks