What's new

Tron - special edition (1 Viewer)

I'm the proud owner of one of the best Laserdisc boxsets ever produced - Disney's Archive Collection of 'Tron' - OK, its not the greatest of films but it made an impact on me back in 82 with its revolutionary computer generated effects and as soon as this boxset was released, I flew to toronto to pick a copy up and on playing it was gobsmacked by the superb picture quality THX surround and a whole disc of extras which would put todays dvd's extras to shame.

Prior to purchasing this disc, I had to put up with grainy, pan & scan vhs so you can imagine how I felt when I got my hands on this.

I still enjoy watching it and have recently heard that a special 20th anniversary dvd is being released - can anyone confirm this and better still, indicate if any changes have been made to this edition ?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm not familiar with the LD Box contents although I understand it to be very solid.

The Tron SE DVD is due on Jan 15, 2002 the last I heard. Pretty sure that's an announced date.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Here's some info:
DISC 1: Feature film with audio commentary by director Steven Lisberger. DISC 2: Two programs detailing the histories of computer animation; Interviews; Deleted scenes; Making-of featurette; Storyboard-to-film comparison.
Aspect Ratio of 2.20:1. Not sure what the audio will be.
Peace Out~:D

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Well, since it's a VISTA title I'm pretty darn sure it will have both DD and DTS soundtracks, along with the original soundtrack.
Can't wait :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
New disc will be 5.1 DD, don't think it has DTS

I believe the documentary is all-new, along with much of the stuff that was on the LD.

I hope it's as good as the Last Starfighter one, I love that doc

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I know I read somewhere that there will be no Tron SE released in R1. It stated, because sales were bad for the regular version.

Disregard the above, its Starman SE that won't be released in R1.

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
so what are the odds of a newer "digital" (picture and sound) TRON coming out?
also, who would like to see a sequel?!?!? :D

Lone Wolf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny B
Todd,

That sequel is currently being written by Steven Lisberger, director and writer of TRON. The follow-up is called TRON 2.0 and apparently the lightcycles will return!

Johnny B.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Henrik,
Well, since it's a VISTA title
I don't think this is a VISTA title. All sites I checked only mention "20th Anniversary Collector's Edition". Also, check out the cover.
tron.jpg

Chris

George Cifrancis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
I am glad to see they are using the original Syd Mead TRON logo for the DVD release artwork. They didn't use it on the LaserDisc special edition which was annoying.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks