What's new

TRON SE - Anyone have this yet? (1 Viewer)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
The sound is a revelation, incredible rumbles throughout the film. The dialogue is used very effectively on the various discrete channels.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

derek

Second Unit
Larry,

How's the DVD compare overall to the LD box set? I guess it's worth it to get the DVD just for the new anamorphic transfer.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
There is definitely much bass in effect. I love it.

I also saw the pac-man "easter egg" on the screen for the first time. I'd never seen it all the previous times I'd viewed the movie on TV and in the theater.

AdamW

Agent
I watched the movie last night, I have no school today :). Good transfer. Still gotta return it later,and this time I'll look for one that's packaged well.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
The family and I watched it last night. Disney did a wonderful job with this disk. I don't know what I was expecting but it was beautiful. Yes some of it looked dated but all-in-all they did a great job.
The LFE was incredible. A few parts had the couch shaking. Not what I was expecting! :D Nice use of all the speakers also.
When I get some time alone I will watch this at my "ear level" instead of the family "ear level".
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Two thoughts on this:

Too much LFE.

The final trailer is NOT on this DVD set, just as it wasn't on the LD set. That's it, I'm going to have to digitize it myself!

What's too bad about Tron is that they can't 'fix' it with today's technology. There are so many layers of acetate used to make one frame of film with the old process I just keep thinking "oooh, PHOTOSHOP!". I'm a BIG Tron fan, and I'm all for preservation, but it would be nice to go back to the original negatives, build the 'sets' in Maya, and make everything look clean. Either way, the DVD is excellent, I love this movie, and I'll be first on line for Tron 2.0.

Soundtrack will be released on 1/29 (as per Amazon.com)

Mike

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
As a fan of Wendy Carlos' score, I'm disappointed that there is not a score only option (yeah, I know boo-hoo for me and I should let it go), but at least there's the music feature to allow the viewer to hear her score for the light cycle sequence, and more importantly the whole ending credit sequence- minus that crappy Journey song.

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
The documentary on this disc is second only to CE:3K in it's awesomeness. I think it's actuall longer than the film! It discusses every aspect of the production (including box office performance), and really gives you the feeling of "I now know everything about Tron I ever wanted to."
Best joke:
When they opened up the crates with the 65mm cameras, sand from "Lawrence of Arabia" fell out.
Best not-a-joke:
Tron wasn't eligible for the visual effects Academy Award because they "cheated" when they used computers :confused:

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
I agree. The documentary is amazing. It reminded me of the documentary on the Collector's Edition disc of The Thing. Spectacular!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It's not BB's fault. They come from the factory that way.
Actually, it IS Best Buy's fault - in a roundabout way. The reason these annoying security stickers are on DVDs in the first place is because the big retailers insist upon it, to help combat rampant in-store theft.

Paul W

Second Unit
Did anyone notice the Mickey Mouse pattern in the ground as they were flying in the solar sail simulation in chapter 14 (1:12:25)?

I saw mickey mouse float across the screen and said: WTF? Never noticed that before!

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Damn you, BEST BUY! I went over there today to buy it, and they didn't have it. Not a single copy. Not even an empty space on the rack where it was supposed to be.
Since I HAD to buy SOMETHING, I just bought American Pie 2 instead. :)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Actually, it IS Best Buy's fault - in a roundabout way. The reason these annoying security stickers are on DVDs in the first place is because the big retailers insist upon it, to help combat rampant in-store theft.
Wrong. It is the fault of the people who steal.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wrong. It is the fault of the people who steal.
To a point. The only thing anyone needs to bypass those "security devices" is a simple razor blade. It makes short work of the shrink wrap AND the annoying stickers. I'm sure a competent DVD thief could be through the "security" packaging and have the bare disc concealed in a pocket within 10-15 seconds, and that's exactly the type of theft the stickers are designed to prevent. I think they're poorly thought out and serve as a minor deterrent to criminals intent on getting them for free. Mostly they're just an annoyance to the 99% of us who prefer to pay for our DVDs.

It would be interesting to see some real statistics on the effectivness of stickers/ionized keepcase tags in reducing loss.

DP

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Does this set not include the Music and Effects track (isolated), as appeared on one of the analog channels of the LD box?

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I found the transfer overall to be adequate, givin the age of the film and the process used for special effects. The one piece that was distracting was a lot of compression artifacts and inconsistant black levels.
The 5.1 track surprised me the most. The amount of LFE is unbelievable. I would definitely love to see this one plotted. TRON goes into the bass demo material :D
I still haven't viewed most of the extras yet, so I can't comment on them yet.
Cheers!
Mass

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
To a point. The only thing anyone needs to bypass those "security devices" is a simple razor blade. It makes short work of the shrink wrap AND the annoying stickers. I'm sure a competent DVD thief could be through the "security" packaging and have the bare disc concealed in a pocket within 10-15 seconds, and that's exactly the type of theft the stickers are designed to prevent. I think they're poorly thought out and serve as a minor deterrent to criminals intent on getting them for free. Mostly they're just an annoyance to the 99% of us who prefer to pay for our DVDs.
To a point?!?! Ludicrous.
Let's look at the logic of the situation.
Companies put on the security stickers because people steal DVDs. Therefore, if people don't steal DVDs, companies will not put on the security stickers!!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Companies put on the security stickers because people steal DVDs. Therefore, if people don't steal DVDs, companies will not put on the security stickers!!
It is true that if theft did not exist then security stickers would not exist.

This does not mean that the amount of theft reduced by the stickers is less than the cost of the stickers themselves. Just like macrovision spends money on B2B marketing to convince the studios that macrovision stops piracy, the companies that sell the stickers work hard to convince the retailers that the stickers stop theft.

The truth? Who knows.

I know that the majority of theft of retail product occurs at wholesale and by employees.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Fantastic to see Tron looking so great! Disney really did well here, with next-to-no edge enhancement.
This is the first time I've seen it in w/s. Definitely one for widescreen.org.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
P.S. no isolated score :frowning: A not-so-subtle reminder is on the back of the box that you can go get the CD if you want the original soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks