What's new

TRON: Legacy (2010) (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not surprised that this is getting so many positive reviews, because taste in movies(especially this type) is always subjective. For me though, I'd rank it among Spiderman 3, and Transformers 2 for the biggest disappointing sequel films I have ever seen.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick H.

Two things really elevated the film for me, though. First was Olivia Wilde, who was a real surprise. In the trailers, I assumed either she was a femme fatale or a variant on the frosty ass-kicking heroine we've seen a lot of in this genre (a la Trinity, Angelina Jolie in action mode, etc.). Instead she brought a great deal of warmth, innocence and spark to her part, and really livened up the film (she got the two biggest laughs in my theater) and got you rooting for the good guys.

Second element was, yes, the totally awe-inspiring score by Daft Punk. WOW. When they were attached to this, I knew something interesting would come of it...but I had no idea it would turn out to be one of those instant classics that defines the movie it was created for. Lately it seems like fewer and fewer filmmakers are willing to hand their films over to composers and say "okay...let's bring this to life," but the people behind this one did, and man what an entrancing an beautiful piece of work they came up with. With a spectacular mix in the film, I'd wager it does as much as the 3D to immerse you in the experience.

I would agree with that Olivia Wilde was much better than I expected.

Daft Punk simply rocked with their music. I loved the fact that they were in the movie as DJ's as well.

I saw the original in the cinema way back when, so I loved the homage they did in the opening scene with the original Tron Poster while at the same time Bridges talking to his son while using the toys to bring us up to speed. I probably missed some more subtle references.

I want to see more Lightcycles as that was just incredible.

I did see it in 3D

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Saw it tonight in 3D. I thought it was a worthy continuation of the story. I enjoyed it very much. And I'm glad it was a continuation, complete with Bridges and Boxleitner.

I had watched TRON last night with the commentary, and noticed that was at least one "I wish I had thought of it at the time" comment that was incorporated into the story, although in a heavily modified form.

The lightcycle sequence from the original film is still an amazing piece of work, and the new ones just blew me away. In fact, the whole design of the "new" world felt right. It kept the important visual and aural aspects of the original film, while updating everything so it wouldn't feel dated. I do wish that the transition sequence was longer, like in the original.

One major thing did disappoint me....

I wish they had done a little more with Tron at the end. His return/redemption was all too brief, and thus unsatisfying, for such an heroic character.

And why isn't there an official discussion thread so we can post without spoiler tags?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Quick questions: does this movie overwrite the game Tron 2.0, or does that fit in? And, are the current games anything like Tron 2.0?

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Saw it tonight in 3D. I thought it was a worthy continuation of the story. I enjoyed it very much. And I'm glad it was a continuation, complete with Bridges and Boxleitner.

I had watched TRON last night with the commentary, and noticed that was at least one "I wish I had thought of it at the time" comment that was incorporated into the story, although in a heavily modified form.

The lightcycle sequence from the original film is still an amazing piece of work, and the new ones just blew me away. In fact, the whole design of the "new" world felt right. It kept the important visual and aural aspects of the original film, while updating everything so it wouldn't feel dated. I do wish that the transition sequence was longer, like in the original.

One major thing did disappoint me....

I wish they had done a little more with Tron at the end. His return/redemption was all too brief, and thus unsatisfying, for such an heroic character.

And why isn't there an official discussion thread so we can post without spoiler tags?

Joe:

I agree. However, I'd figure that we haven't seen the last of Tron. Tron: Redemption, perhaps?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Originally Posted by Jim Barg
Joe:

I agree. However, I'd figure that we haven't seen the last of Tron. Tron: Redemption, perhaps?

Yes, I noticed that Tron did not derez, so I guess there is that possibility...

and as much as I'd like to see a continuation of the story, especially in regards to that particular aspect, I'm not sure the film is going to bank enough to get a follow-up.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.boxofficemagazine.com/articles/2010-12-tron-legacy-screenwriters-on-stars-story-of-the-upcoming-tv-series

Adam Horowitz and Eddie Kitsis, screenwriters of the new film TRON: Legacy, told BOXOFFCE that the forthcoming TRON spinoff projects would offer a continuation of the mythology of the movie series.

"There's a 10-part micro series that will premiere next summer that Eddie and I wrote," Horowitz said during an interview in Los Angeles, Calif. "And we've also worked on a couple of episodes with the series itself. We've hired an incredible team; we've got a guy running the show named Charlie Bean who is an amazing director."

When asked whether the animated series will be part of the continuity of the films, Kitsis said, "Absolutely. And we're treating it very seriously." He explained that the events of the show will take place in between the events of TRON and TRON: Legacy. "This animated show will take place from when Flynn is in a safe house. It's from when Clu takes over the grid to before when Sam comes in. So if you were wondering what was the grid like before that, then watch the show."

Horowitz indicated that it will feature an eclectic cast of voice actors, including the actor who played Tron in both films. "We hesitate to tell too much just yet, but it will fill in the blanks of some things, and also explore some new areas as well," he revealed. "Bruce Boxleitner is in it, Elijah Wood, Linda Moore, Paul Reubens, Lance Henriksen. I mean, we've got a really cool group of actors."

He also suggested that some of the stories might piggyback on preliminary ideas that he and Kitsis developed for the film that didn't make it into the final cut. "To give you an example of how we approached storytelling sometimes is like when you're in the End of Line club, when we first meet Castor and he's being berated by one of the patrons saying, ‘I want an audience with Zuse.' His name is Bartik, and there's an entire back story we have for him. The guy with him, his name is Hopper, there's a whole thing between the two of them, what they are doing in there, and how they got there. It's like over the years of developing this movie, we developed all these mythologies and all these back stories and all little tangential things."

Kitsis said that he and Horowitz came up with explanations for every aspect of these peripheral characters, and that gives them a richer mythology to draw upon for future stories. "Did we have time to do the Bartik story? No. But now maybe the Bartik story is in the animated series —you know, he's got a huge scar on his face. I want to know how he got that scar. We couldn't sit down and write that there's a guy with a scar on his face without knowing what the scar was. So we hope it adds to the depth of the movie. Our intention is to try and make something that is more than just, let's go get something. We treat TRON very, very seriously and as writers we try to have a reason and a world for everything and not all of it gets to be shown because in this particular movie, we only had two hours.

"[So] hopefully it fills in the blanks in and in a fun way and an intriguing way."

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I just saw the movie tonight (after watching the original last night). It was a good sequel to the original, carried out in the same kinda vein and feel, just with a bit more zen. I'm definitely looking forward to the mini-series coming, and hope that there is a followup made to this. Just enough questions left unanswered, and Murphy's cameo has to be expanded -- although, that may occur in deleted scenes on the DVD.

Short review (in no particular order): The music was great, the graphics amazing, the 3D unobtrusive but well done, and the story wasn't as terrible as most seem to be making it out to be.

Aside: And they said that the Narnia movies had strong religious overtones...

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Originally Posted by Shane D

the only thing that sucks about the soundtrack is the 8 or so missing tracks. a uk special edition has a 2nd disk of 5 tracks, amazon has 1 bonus and itunes has 2 and somewhere else had another. although you can buy the amazon and itunes ones for 99¢, luckily they aren't 'album only' purchases

Is there a reason the soundtrack CD is black like old playstation game discs? Style thing, or some new draconian anti copy measure?

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I did see it IMAX late last night, and it was a very dreamlike experience. If this was a trilogy, it would be The Empire Strikes Back in terms of being a darker film than the original. Maybe the animated series will answer the unanswered questions that percolated in my head overnight. I guess I'll wait until the official discussion thread starts up to avoid oceans of blacked out spoiler text to ask them.

In the spirit of the season, I post a link to some game grid holiday cheer, and spoofing more than one franchise.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5aaba22e7f/the-1982-tron-holiday-special

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Joe K being interviewed on various things :

http://collider.com/joseph-kosinski-interview-tron-legacy-tron-3-reshoots-easter-eggs/66520/

I’ve heard this from one or two people. Something that everyone is raving about is the pairing of your movie with Daft Punk, people are just going bananas for it. Of the songs that you used in the film, are there a lot of unreleased tracks that were made for this film that will maybe be eventually released?

Kosinski: Yeah. We had to lock the album like two months before I finished the movie. So, when I was mixing up at Skywalker, the song that I put in the Solar Sailor sequence isn’t even on the album. And then one of the songs we do in the End of Line club we hadn’t even written yet. So there’s a song in the End of Line club, the one where Zeus says “Change this game all to the mood, electrify the boys and girls” the song that kicks in there and goes all the way up to the black guard fight, that song’s not on the album, that’s in the movie only. It’s a really cool song, it’s a really industrial rock kind of pounding. And then the Solar Sailor song, which is one of my favorites, I don’t think is on the album either. It’s actually a version of the first demo they ever gave me in 2007. It’s this very kind of arpeggiated thing that’s all in the surrounds, and it’s for that whole Quorra operation sequence, and then the song that was there I put in the end credits. And that’s the one that made it on the album.

You mentioned to me that they gave you like 26 demos back in the day. I have the soundtrack, I don’t think there’s 26 tracks…

Kosinski: No, no I’ve got a bunch of demos that we just never fit in the movie, there’s a lot of great stuff.

So you basically don’t know what may or may not happen with the unreleased songs?

Kosinski: No I imagine those two songs that we finished for the film will eventually come out as some sort of bonus track or special edition. But that wasn’t a calculated thing, literally when the album had to be printed those songs weren’t in the movie yet, so that’s why those exist. But in terms of all the demos, yeah I don’t know what’ll happen to those. Only I have ‘em and Daft has them. I don’t know if they’d ever want them released.

I’m sure that maybe one day, in the Daft Punk b-sides collection.

Kosinski: It’s pretty cool stuff.

Someone wanted to know about a live concert with the movie, with them. Any chance of that happening?

Kosinski: Yep. I love that idea. I’m actually just trying to get them to do a version on the Blu-ray where you can just do soundtrack and images, but for some reason I heard they can’t do that because it somehow impedes on the album sales or crosses some line. I was trying to get them to do a version of the movie that way, cause I thought that would be a cool option on your Blu-ray, to just say “soundtrack.” ‘Cause you know, in a mix the soundtrack kind of dips down to make room for dialogue, but if you just hear the soundtrack at full volume with the visuals I think would be a really cool kind of, something to just put on in the background.

I think people could just do it on their own, a la Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall

Kosinski: Yeah but the mix I did for the movie and a lot of the edits, and all of this granular stuff just isn’t on the album. And like I said there’s a couple tracks that just aren’t on the album at all, and the mix is different.

Sounds like we have an answer to those missing tracks then

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The biggest strength of this film was the soundtrack. It was amazing and fit the material; although, at times it did seem to reach the point of being bombastic. The visuals were also a strength; although, unlike the first film, I didn't really see anything cutting edge. The visuals in this film were basically just refinements on the original and just demonstrated the growth in computing power when it comes to CGI graphics. Visually, there were lots of nice homages to the original film with the reappearance of the light cycles and the command ship. Flynns' hideout also gave off a few "2001: ASO" vibes, at least to me.

The story was serviceable; although, the parts involving TRON were not very well developed. It is bizarre that the character the film is named after received zero character development, especially in a sequel that takes place years later.

In this film, all he is is some sort of Darth Vaderish character that suddenly goes through some unexplained conversion, because he mentally hears a voice yell "Flynn". Trons part in this film is arguably one of the worst things about it.

All in all, I got everything I expected out of this film. A two hour trip revisiting the world of TRON with the bonus of a slamming soundtrack supporting it all. I do agree that there wasn't enough of the light cycles. I'm giving this one a B+

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I didn't make the connection at the time (knew that it reminded me of something), but once you said that, the connection was made that my mind was reaching for when watching the film.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Saw this last night (SPOILERS AHEAD)...

Liked Jeff, liked Bruce, liked Olivia Wilde (YOWZA!), liked the main Light Cycle battle, liked the return of the Solar Sailor and Command Ship, liked the opening setup connecting the new film to the original (confession here: I'm a big fan of the original).

However, these good points are inevitably undone by the following headsmackers:

The Grid is too much like the real world, including Flynn's Arcade, dusty books and whole pig dinners. I mean, fer chrissakes.

The Grid isn't nearly as colorful as in the original TRON; too many blues, whites, blacks and greys. A much blander landscape.

No dramatic or visual power whatsoever to Sam Flynn's entrance and escape from the Grid. Extremely disappointing.

Unmemorable, extremely repetitive score by Daft Punk, which ain't remotely a patch on Wendy Carlos' work.

Bland, competent, unmemorable leading man.

Too talky and overlong.

The 3D was absolutely STINKO LOUSY ROTTEN, and I saw it at an IMAX. This smacks of post-production conversion. The 3D trailers they showed before the film were astounding, however.

Finally, and most unforgivably: the character of Tron (you know, the character that the goddamned films are NAMED AFTER) was completely thrown away.

Poor Bruce has been reduced to a couple of cameos as Alan Bradley, at the beginning and the end of the film, with a short bit in between during a flashback where he's looking young as Tron. After that flashback, in which Tron attacks the now-evil Clu while Kevin Flynn escapes, Kevin says he never saw Tron after that. Later on, Kevin says he senses Tron is still alive. Toward the end, it's implied that Tron has turned to the dark side, and is flying one of the enemy fighters during the climactic dogfight, but at the last moment he appears to turn back to the side of the users, and his immortal line is heard on the soundtrack, "I fight for the USERS!" as he attacks Clu. BUT, his face isn't shown, and no closure to his character is given whatsoever; during the last shot of him, he's STILL wearing his effing helmet, falling through cyberspace after tangling with Clu, and his ultimate fate isn't shown either. His character arc is all offscreen. It feels like a bunch of stuff ended up on the cutting-room floor. Either that, or the writers had no idea of how to write a good TRON sequel. Again, poor Bruce. All the hype around Bridges, when Tron was the OTHER main character in the original film, and for the sequel, they steamrolled right over him. Almost no mention of Bruce anywhere in the marketing for this. Yeah, I know, he's not exactly a household name these days, but his character was at least as important as Bridges' character, and the creators did this character an extreme disservice.

What the HELL were they thinking?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Huh. I really liked the reprogramming of Tron into Rinzler angle. The return to his original programming was a bit sudden (it's right after he first sees Kevin Flynn in the Lightjet for a reason), but I thought it worked for the story quite well. And we get enough resolution for this film in my mind, which is that he's turned back into Tron (turning Blue-lighted at the very end when in the ocean), and that if Disney can do another story they have something in mind (since Kevin Flynn is, you know, dead).

Also, it was shot in 3D, not converted, though obviously there's a lot of animation going on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nelson

Saw this last night (SPOILERS AHEAD)...

Could spoilers be spoilerized?

e.g.

Hide them :)

Thanks. Otherwise, I'll have to stop reading this thread until I can see the movie. :)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Well, since I guess we're not using spoilers anymore...

As I mentioned earlier, the Tron (the character line) was interesting, but I think the payoff should have been stronger. With no guarantee of a sequel, I would have liked a more satisfying resolution.

I thought a lot of the choices made for the design of the Grid were interesting and fit well within the timeline of the story. Remember, it was created within the following few years after the original story and then stagnated (and even backtracked) once CLU took over. The fact that the Arcade was part of it was most definitely a narcissistic choice on the part of Kevin Flynn. I could see him doing that.

The digital world was shot 3D, whereas the real world was shot 2D. It was an intentional choice ala using color for Oz, but not for Kansas.

I think the people making the film understood what they were doing. I don't think they were hacks. It's just that people disagree with some of the creative choices that were made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks