1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tron 2.0

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Shane Martin, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If you have seen the movie Tron and like it as much as I did, you will be in gamer geek heaven with Tron 2.0. I just recently downloaded the demo to play and the game looks and plays incredibly. The release date is 8/26 it says. I'm so all over this. I expect this to be a hit at the lan parties with my friends.

2. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I haven't played the demo but I wasn't thrilled with the First Person view in the Discs of Tron game. How does it play?

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I just tried the full version of this game on my PC, and it's slow as hell-even on the lowest detail it's choppy. For a 2.1 GHz processor with 512 Mb of memory and a Radeon 7500 it should at least run reasonably well. Can't find any information on performance issues (remembering the problems with GTA3 and ATI cards), but so far it's a big thumbs down for unplayability.

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Wow, Chris... You must have some sort of bizarre issue, because mine runs silky smooth! I'm running the full version on an Athlon XP 2200+, 512mb, Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb and Sound Blaster Audigy system... and I have all details turned to their maximum. Runs like BUTTAH and looks GORGEOUS!

The single player game is one of the most intriguing since Half-Life and through hidden video clips and e-mails gives a nice flow to the story. And unlike most games in this genre, there actually IS a story and it's actually a pretty good one! Plus, Bruce Boxleitner does the voice of Alan Bradley, which I thought was cool. Speaking of the audio, the use of 5.1 surround in this game is very nice if you have it on your system. Some of the cutscenes sound as good as DVD's I own, which is impressive since most video games are a bit too gimmicky with their surround usage IMHO.

The multiplayer takes a little getting used to for those of us used to playing UT2003 or Q3, but after a while it really becomes a fast-paced arena-style experience. There is a learning curve, but so long as you can strafe and jump at the same time you ought to pick it up pretty quickly. It does take some memorization of the disc locations for each arena, since sometimes you have to jump to a disc outside of your field of vision in order to keep your disc flying at your opponent. Still, after a little adaptation to this style of game, this is a damn exciting multiplayer experience! And hey, LIGHTCYCLES! Need I say more?

Overall, Tron 2.0 is one of the best games I've played in a long time... and I play just about every game that looks remotely interesting.

5. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I'm running it on an 2.53 GHz Intel P4 w/1 GB RAM and an ATI Radeon 9700. Runs very smooth.

Mike

6. Chris Bardon

Was just wading through the BV interactive message boards, and there's a hint that there might be a patch coming soon that addresses problems with lower end Radeon cards. I have to say though that this is incredibly sloppy, but I suppose not surprising given the slipshod nature of game releases these days. Many games are being rushed out without sufficient testing, and it's even starting to percolate over to console games. Let's put it this way-if your PC game needs a patch within the first week of release-you released it too soon.

We'll see if they actually answer their support email though.

7. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Chris the reason it is running slow on your machine is that the 7500 does not support hardware T&L which is required by the game. The 7500 can do T&L through software but takes a performance hit. If you are on a budget I would get the ATI 9600 (not the PRO version) its about $130 online. Also the 7500 is more than likely bottle necking your Processor.

8. Chris Bardon

That's a definite possibility, but the specs say that it should support the 7500. Just got this reply from BVI:

9. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Chris, in all fairness... they can't test for every combination of hardware out there. They HAVE to release the game and deal with problems as they appear. With consoles, they have a known set of hardware to design for and test with, so I'm a lot less forgiving of problems with console games... but the PC has so many variables that they just can't account for. Take into account all the different motherboard chipsets, processors, types and brands of RAM, video cards, sound cards, network adapters, hard drives, CD-ROM drives, etc. and you end up with an incredibly large number of possible configurations for any given computer.

I mean, I'm sorry that you ran into a problem, but I'm sure the company will address it as soon as they're able. Trust me, the game is worth it.

10. Chris Bardon

I understand that you can't test for EVERY conbination of hardware, but wasn't DirectX supposed to adddress that issue? I haven't written a lot of software that uses DirectX, but from what I understand the application calls commands from the DirectX layer, which then translates these for the hardware. This was supposed to solve the old problem of everyone needing to write their own drivers like back in the DOS days. Now, sound, input, and 3d could just be handled the same way for each chipset-life was supposed to be good! Does this mean that companies are circumventing directx in order to tweak performance?

As for dealing with different configurations, I can understand if there's something in a particular MB, BIOS, or drive controller that for some reason impairs performance, but this is a graphics card issue. There are what-maybe a dozen different major chipsets that you have to test? Surely a company like BVI can afford a dozen test machines?

And in all fairness, I don't really blame the developer-odds are that it's not their fault. It's much more likely that the publisher said that they had to ship whatever they had ready or else. Look at what happened with Ultima Ascension-a virtually unplayable game was released. From what I played the game was great, but it was impossible to actually get it to run at the time. Given another six months, it could have been finished (as is evident from the patches that came out), but the publisher intervened and said that the game had to ship.

11. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Does this mean that companies are circumventing directx in order to tweak performance?
    Short answer Yes. Alot of Video Cards today do things that Direct X Does not support. So they have to overwrite direct X to pull off some effects on high end cards.

Like I said the 7500 does not support Hardware T&L the box states that your card will run the game. It does run the game. Never on any box does it say that it will run smoothly on minimum requirements. The 7500 is a really Low end video card these days. ATI replaced it with the 9000 which sells for $100 and the 9000 does support hardware T&L.

I don't understand why people complain that its the software companies fault when running legacy equipment.

12. Kevin-M

Kevin-M Agent

Love the full-game so far, even the much maligned jumping puzzles(takes me back to the days of Mario Bros.)

Chris, did the patch help juice up the performance on your machine? I can understand that your pissed, and you're right that DirectX should solve all sorts of compatibility issues. But the process that's slowing down the older Radeons is the glow effect. The glow effect is actually not "covered" under DirectX's stable of features, and it took BVI and nVidia quite a while just to figure out how the heck to even achieve it, let alone running smoothly. What it boils down to is rendering the image on screen twice, so if you were to go into the options menu and turn off glow, the game would probably be much more speedy with your graphics board.

And for those that crave the glow, it can be tweaked in one of the games config files. Open up the autoexec.cfg file located in your root tron 2.0 directory. Look for the "screenglowfiltersize" string. See the number beside it? If you cahnge that and save the file, it either weakens or strengthens the glow effects. Set to 0, the glow would be totally off, set up somewhere around 60 and the glow washes out the whole screen. I find that on my machine running an All-In-Wonder Radeon 9700 Pro, the games looks best with the glow set at 30 rather than the default amount.

13. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I just got around to playing the single-player demo, and I'm hooked. I'll pick up the full game as soon as I can.

Thanks for the tip about increasing the glow. That'll give me an excuse to play the demo again. [​IMG]

14. Chris Bardon

Well, I just tried it with the patch, and it's better, but not much. Tried turning off the glow though, and it improved quite a bit. At 800x600x32 with all of the special effects off, it's still pretty choppy. There's probably still some other reasons why it's running like hell, but most of it probably boils down to me not running out like a lemming and buying the latest and greatest graphics card when it gets released. I'd hardly consider a 7500 "legacy", but it's certainly not bleeding edge.

I think I'll just wait for the Xbox version though. Playing on a big TV with 5.1 on a comfy couch is better than playing on PC anyhow. Glad that this was a rental and not a purchase.