What's new

Troma DVDs - How is the quality? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about how I'd like to own a few of those wacky Troma movies on DVD, particularly The Toxic Avenger.
cool.gif

I'm just wondering about the quality of these DVDs. Does the patented Troma disdain for all things expensive also extend to their DVD transfers? Or are they beautiful and crisp transfers...of exploding heads and rampant disembowelments?
Also, which of the Troma DVDs have the best features?
Thanks!
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have the first 20 DVDs that Troma put out when they had a deal on their website that let you get any DVD for 25 cents plus shipping, so I ordered one of everything. The quality isn't Madacy-bad but not great- I noticed artifacts on some titles and some also have master tape glitches. The worst is "Surf Nazis Must Die", which uses the SAME master as the original VHS tape from Media Home Entertainment, as evidenced by the scrolling message during the end credits telling you about the merchandise offer that came on after the movie (the actual offer that was on the tape isn't on the DVD). "The Chosen One: Legend of the Raven" mistakenly has the commentary on the main audio track for the first 15 minutes, so there's no way to watch the beginning without the commentary.
Their first discs also repeated the SAME extensive 'extras' on every disc- many have the same trailers and the "Tour of Troma Studios" and "Troma Intelligence Test" are the same on every disc- their newer discs don't list these so maybe they finally got sick of them. I don't know if the quality of their discs has improved either.

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
I just rented some of these discs and I have to say that I was kind of underwhelmed. The discs are still watchable but do look pretty bad compared to decent discs none the less.
The extras are ok.
If you get a really great deal on them or if you just really, really have to own these movies then get them by all means. Otherwise I'd recommend renting them and buying better discs for your money.
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

M

MaxY

they are Troma DVDs!! They are what you would expect from them.
Some are actually pretty good non are anamorphic a few are letterboxed.
It is all hit or miss.
If you are interested in checking some out I would suggest checking out their biggest baddest SE yet, Terror Firmer. Pretty funny and pretty sick. :)
The Toxic Avenger dvds are not bad but they are not letterboxed.
Extras on these things can be some of the most fun you have ever had depending on the title.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I agree with Max. The quality isn't the best, but this is the amazingly low budget Troma studios we're talking about here. The extras are fun especially on the two disc unrated Terror Firmer DVD. The movie is HILARIOUS too! :)
Gregory

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks