What's new

Tripp Lite ISOBAR 6 DBS (1 Viewer)

Roel_S

Agent
Just wondering if anyone has this surge protection and what's their experience with it. I'm thinking of buying this and would like to get opinions regarding this product.

I'm planning on hooking up the following:

Xbox system

Receiver

TV

Cable

DVD

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think I have the same one except is 8 sockets. I've haven't had any problems with it. I've had it for about 3 years. The sockets are a bit close together so if you have any plugs that are box shape you might get a little size problem but small ones are ok cause the sockets face outward. Tripplite makes reliable equipment, the box is aluminum and not plastic and has a good reputation.

Jay

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
My advice is to buy a UPS that also conditions power. I got a Tripplite Smart500 USB with power conditioning. I checked with the mfr and ran their answers past an EE buddy of mine and this unit does have sine wave output. Plus, it has a $50k equipment warranty

Roel_S

Agent
That's out of my price range.. :frowning: I'm deciding between these two: ISOBAR6DBS and Monster HTS800. Any thoughts on these products?

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
Well... I've had really good luck with products made by Tripp Lite (isobars are one product) But - Monster has been spoken of highly as well although I don't have any experience with their stuff

Alex F.

Second Unit
We're using two Isobar-6 DBS units to protect our most expensive gear. I will obtain 1 or 2 more for other rooms when we move into our new home next month. A great product.

Roel_S

Agent
Forgot to ask, but does the PANAMAX have noise filtering similar to what Monster Surge are proclaiming which on it's website state that it eliminates the white dots to give better reception/signal to the equipment plug into the surge supressor?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
roel, look at specific unit specs: what you're looking for is AC Noise Filter for RF/EMI.
In general, they all provide equivalent.

The Tripplite Isobar6DBS has 2 pairs coax, phone line, and noise filtering. Its a very good unit. And it also has $50,000 in equipment protection.

William, the problem with using ups is they usually are not rated for high wattage applications.The unit you have is rated at 500watts output, my receiver alone requires over 400, with multiple components as in a HT you are quickly going to be stressing the unit. And it only has pure sine wave output on ac power which most do, on battery its not.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
TrippLite ISOBAR6DBS does have two COAX ports but it seems they are not interchangeable. The owners manual specifies the TOP F-terminals for Satellite input/output. The BOTTOM specifies cable tv or antenna coax. The specs dont give the clamping voltage so far as I can see, but here is the usual set-up, and may apply to other makers' units.

Satellite coax feeds 13v and 18v signals from the dish LNBs. A SAT designed coax port carries about 27v clamping.

Cable tv ports will carry ~ 0.7v clamping.

If one connects the SAT coax into the Cable tv port, that port MAY block the SAT signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.