Tripp Lite ISOBAR 6 DBS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roel_S, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Roel_S

Roel_S Agent

Just wondering if anyone has this surge protection and what's their experience with it. I'm thinking of buying this and would like to get opinions regarding this product.

I'm planning on hooking up the following:

Xbox system

Receiver

TV

Cable

DVD

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I think I have the same one except is 8 sockets. I've haven't had any problems with it. I've had it for about 3 years. The sockets are a bit close together so if you have any plugs that are box shape you might get a little size problem but small ones are ok cause the sockets face outward. Tripplite makes reliable equipment, the box is aluminum and not plastic and has a good reputation.

Jay

3. WilliamB

WilliamB Stunt Coordinator

My advice is to buy a UPS that also conditions power. I got a Tripplite Smart500 USB with power conditioning. I checked with the mfr and ran their answers past an EE buddy of mine and this unit does have sine wave output. Plus, it has a $50k equipment warranty[​IMG]

4. Roel_S

Roel_S Agent

How much do the UPS with conditions power cost?

5. WilliamB

The one I bought was about $150

6. Roel_S

Roel_S Agent

That's out of my price range.. [​IMG] I'm deciding between these two: ISOBAR6DBS and Monster HTS800. Any thoughts on these products?

7. WilliamB

Well... I've had really good luck with products made by Tripp Lite (isobars are one product) But - Monster has been spoken of highly as well although I don't have any experience with their stuff

8. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

9. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

We're using two Isobar-6 DBS units to protect our most expensive gear. I will obtain 1 or 2 more for other rooms when we move into our new home next month. A great product.

10. Roel_S

Roel_S Agent

Stephen,

What do you mean by humming noise? Doesn't the ISOBAR6DBS have COAX protection?

11. Roel_S

Roel_S Agent

Forgot to ask, but does the PANAMAX have noise filtering similar to what Monster Surge are proclaiming which on it's website state that it eliminates the white dots to give better reception/signal to the equipment plug into the surge supressor?

12. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

roel, look at specific unit specs: what you're looking for is AC Noise Filter for RF/EMI.
    In general, they all provide equivalent.

13. Chris_Freeman

The Tripplite Isobar6DBS has 2 pairs coax, phone line, and noise filtering. Its a very good unit. And it also has $50,000 in equipment protection.

William, the problem with using ups is they usually are not rated for high wattage applications.The unit you have is rated at 500watts output, my receiver alone requires over 400, with multiple components as in a HT you are quickly going to be stressing the unit. And it only has pure sine wave output on ac power which most do, on battery its not.

14. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

TrippLite ISOBAR6DBS does have two COAX ports but it seems they are not interchangeable. The owners manual specifies the TOP F-terminals for Satellite input/output. The BOTTOM specifies cable tv or antenna coax. The specs dont give the clamping voltage so far as I can see, but here is the usual set-up, and may apply to other makers' units.

Satellite coax feeds 13v and 18v signals from the dish LNBs. A SAT designed coax port carries about 27v clamping.

Cable tv ports will carry ~ 0.7v clamping.

If one connects the SAT coax into the Cable tv port, that port MAY block the SAT signals.

15. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit