What's new

Tripods (1 Viewer)

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I sure would like this series on DVD for Region 1 (apparently it's already out on region 2)

Very good science fiction.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
(raises hand and waves it furiously) Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! ME! ME! ME!

ME WANT!!!!

My copies that I taped off of PBS 20 years ago and two states away are worn to the bone. And I never got more than the arrival at the White Mountains.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put these out in the USA!!! I'd buy them all in a heartbeat! In fact, I'm such a giant fan of the books, and (what I saw of) the series did as good a job translating them to the screen as PH's LOTR did for that book (retaining the essence, if not going scene-for-scene): I would love to use the series to help my wife, and eventually my son, get into the excellent books (which I guess I should re-buy, as my copies of these are also worn and tattered!).

Pretty please?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Only season one is out in R2-land (the UK, anyway). Season two has been indefinitely postponed due to some annoying rights issue. Season one was badly authored by "Second Sight" (nicknamed "Second Sh***" by those in the industry) in a 2-disc set. No extras. Still, a must-buy if you're a fan of the show.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Was this even ever aired in the US? I've seen a few eps on people's tapes, horrifically cheesy from the BBC as usual, I dunno, seemed blasphemous to the original books

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, all I can do to answer you is to suggest you re-read my post.
A) It was aired on PBS in Houston, TX about 20-ish years ago. Maybe only 15-ish.
B) I consider myself a huge fan of the books, and I thought that the series was dead-on to the spirit of the books, even if they didn't tell every bit of the story. Things were, like in Fellowship of the Rings, shortened, shifted around, or told in quick order. But the important parts are there, and the show accurately portrays: the subjegation of the planet, the slavery the human race was reduced to, and the flight of the young rebels to the White Mountains and the types of dangers they faced.

I think it was dead-on. If anyone says otherwise, we'll have to agree to disagree...I doubt I'll change my mind at this late date! :D

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
If I remember correctly, the first book started out after the Tripods had been there for many years. We only learn about the Earth being taken over later in the 2nd book.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I, too saw it on our local PBS station, lo those many years ago...

I'm also a huge John Christopher fan

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Wow, talk about nostalgia! I remember reading the books way back when I was a kid. I wouldn't mind seeing the tv series... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks