What's new

Tripod Adaptor for iPhone? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Curious, but do you plan to use your phone as webcam (for Zoom and such), not just on its own for video calls, @DaveF? If yes, wouldn't you want something taller than those table-top tripods (for the camera to go above the screen)?

Even if not for webcam, I wonder if table-top tripods are really tall enough to be worthwhile for this. They're better than nothing I suppose, but not sure better enough to bother... I'd probably just stack some books or something for free DIY solution -- table-top tripods will usually still take up roughly similar footprint anyway (unless you don't actually use them as tripods) ... though they are more portable and can have other (actually photographic) uses...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Once again I insist one source is all you need...
http://austinmann.com/iphone-tripod-mounts

I use the Reticam on my platypod. That sounds dirty.
That's a great resource for the pro/am iPhone photo person. But they're all expensive pro-ish hardware. Nothing cheap and easy to just have an iPhone on a table to FaceTime chat with the nieces.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Curious, but do you plan to use your phone as webcam (for Zoom and such), not just on its own for video calls, @DaveF? If yes, wouldn't you want something taller than those table-top tripods (for the camera to go above the screen)?

Even if not for webcam, I wonder if table-top tripods are really tall enough to be worthwhile for this. They're better than nothing I suppose, but not sure better enough to bother... I'd probably just stack some books or something for free DIY solution -- table-top tripods will usually still take up roughly similar footprint anyway (unless you don't actually use them as tripods) ... though they are more portable and can have other (actually photographic) uses...

_Man_
I think you're asking if I want to use an iPhone as a webcam while I'm doing a laptop web meeting. No, I don't do laptop video conference calls. (I don't even have a personal laptop I could run zoom on.)

This is just for personal use, for like FaceTime or whatever. Or maybe have an iPhone on a tripod to broadcast a boardgames setup for a distanced game party with friends. If I want to run Zoom or whatever on a laptop-sized screen, I'll use my iPad.

I'm not sure what I want to do, or how to do it, so I'm looking for a couple of cheap options to play with. I was going for under $40 all-in as a splurge.

@DaveF did you decide on one?

Jelly Grip WX Tripod Mount with Pro Tripod | Tripod & Selfie Stick
This is a tabletop tripod with adjustable mount for under $18. Seemed like worth a try.

Square Jellyfish Metal Spring Tripod Mount | Metal Version
This is the Wirecutter's recommended iPhone grip, for only $17. I've got some tripods around there, in case I want to try that out.

They're supposed to arrive in a week or two.

This is all cheap enough at $40 to throw away if I never use it. But potentially good enough that if I start using it, it will last through the present social quarantining.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
@Sam Posten At the beginning I thought you had included some dramatic back ground music. Really cool. Then I realized it was the machine making the sound.

That video reminds me of the underside of the Martian war machines in Spielberg’s War of the Worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks