What's new

Tripod Adaptor for iPhone? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a couple of those tripods as various companies sent them to me to do a review.

All those tripods in the $20 range are okay. They are rather flimsy, as they are cheaply made, but they do the trick.

It's great the one you are getting has the remote.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm with Ron, Johnny.

That adapter looks nice and the included remote makes it even a nicer deal.

The small flexible leg tripods that usually are sold with those kind of adapters are...okay. As Ron says, they get the job done in certain situations (I have had great success using them to wrap around things like fence railings to get nice, steady video of things like merry-go-round rides).

But it is the clamp adapters which really take the day. Simple devices, but some are better than others. The difference between the one you posted and the ones I have is that mine are all spring-loaded so that the grips just expand and then close to grab the phone. The one you posted will need to be sized by turning a screw. I could see advantages/disadvantages to that.

But I'd take a flyer on that set-up for $19.99.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Some reviewers are saying the remote doesn’t work. If it doesn’t, there’s always my Apple Watch.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Some reviewers are saying the remote doesn’t work. If it doesn’t, there’s always my Apple Watch.

That's a standard remote. Most of those low-end products come with that same remote. Mine works fine. You could always return the item to Amazon if you get a non-working part.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was just thinking about getting my wife an iPhone tripod adapter. I don't know if she'd use it much, but better to have it for the rare use than not and wish it was there.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wouldn’t mind finding one of the steady cam holders that are for phones.
If I saw one in the $30 area I’d buy it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm again looking for an iPhone tripod mount system, for tabletop use: Zoom and FaceTime and what all for socially distanced fun.

• I re-read this thread, but for me the recommendations are either expensive pro models or not a simple tabletop tripod kit.
  • TheWirecutter is surprisingly unhelpful. I don't want a gorilla pod. I'm not shooting 4K video from tree branches.
  • MacBreak Weekly last week recommended the Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod Kit with Universal Smartphone Clamp. At $28, it looked decent. But at $39 and not available until nearly June, it's no longer an option. And on further review, it can't hold a phone in portrait (vertical) so that's no good.
I'm leaning towards:
Amazon Q&A claims they'll fit an iPhone 8+ with case.
But a user review says that one of the tripods (which one?) is very imbalanced with an 8+.
So, they seem like maybe worth a try. Under $20 each, and will arrive ... within two weeks (sigh). But might be terrible and break quickly?

Am I missing a decent $20 option that's available and shipping? I need two.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

I bought a cheap mount for the latest iPhone (I forget what model we are up to). It's not like you need anything expensive for this purpose so you are definitely in the right price range. Don't forget you can return anything you are unhappy with.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Dave, I’m glad you resurrected this thread as I am also looking for these things again.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The Reticam doesn’t seem to be available anymore.

Dave (and DavidJ), seems to be available at B&H... though they're currently closed for a week (for Passover) -- they apparently will accept/process checkout tomorrow night, but still won't seem to ship til the 17th. Otherwise, they do seem to ship quickly (as usual)... although not sure the shipping cost if you don't meet the $49 order requirement for free shipping...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1250982-REG/reticam_rc_stm01_c_smartphone_tripod_mount_with.html/

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks