What's new

Triplets of Belleville - May 4th (1 Viewer)

Tim O.

Grip
Saw this over at DVDtoons. They've got the extras plus cover art.

Two of my favorite movies of 03' on the same day PLUS Samurai Jack S1...bye bye hard-earned cash.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
The specs of the currently R2 UK edition seem the same, except it also has DTS and an interview.

I wonder if the US disc will have a superior transfer to make it worth waiting for. After all, its Sony against Tartan - so you have to wonder!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
For the lazy ones: ;)

http://www.dvdtoons.com/news/521

Features:

Making-of Featurette
Animation Featurette
Select Scene Commentaries
Music Video

The Triplets of Belleville is scheduled for release on 05/04/2004, with a retail tag of $24.96.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Awww...I was hoping for Chomet's fantastic short animation The Old Lady and the Pigeons, so held off on the UK disc just to be sure. Guess there's no reason not to get it now.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Crossing my fingers as well.

Triplets of Belleville was a refreshing change from the formula stuff that Pixar releases. And I found the animation to be much more creative and charming as well.

I'm not one for animated films, but I'll pick this one up on release day.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
FYI, guys. Beware the synopsis, spoilers abound...

"Extraordinary!" - Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

"Like Nothing You've Ever Seen!" - Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

"A tour de force! Stuffed nearly to bursting with astounding sequences!" - A.O. Scott, The New York Times

THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE
Two-Time Academy Award® Nominee Including Best Animated Feature
From Writer/Director Sylvain Chomet
Premiering May 4 on DVD and VHS

Culver City, CA (February 23, 2004) - One of the most wildly inventive, visionary and
sophisticated animated films of all time, THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE caught the world's
attention with its classic, visually-stunning style, eccentric satirical humor, rich imagination
crowded with colorful characters and inspired musical score when it premiered at last year's
Cannes Film Festival. Having since been voted Best Picture on more than 50 Year's Best critics'
lists including The New York Times and Los Angeles Times, plus numerous worldwide accolades
including two Academy Award® nominations for Best Animated Feature and Best Original
Song, THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE will now debut May 4 on DVD and VHS from
Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment.

Honored as an Official Selection with several prestigious film festivals including
Telluride Film Festival, Toronto International Film Festival and AFI Film Festival, THE
TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE became a "critics darling" garnering Best Animated Feature
awards from respected film organizations such as the New York Film Critics Circle, Los Angeles
Film Critics Association, Seattle Film Critics, San Diego Film Critics Society, among others.
Completed over a remarkable five-year process, THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE was written
and directed by French-born artist Sylvain Chomet, who previously received an Academy
Award® nomination for his animated short film, The Old Lady and the Pigeons.

SYNOPSIS
Adopted by his grandmother, Madame Souza, Champion is a lonely little boy. Noticing
that this lad is never happier than on a bicycle, Madame Souza puts him through a rigorous
training process. Years go by and Champion becomes worthy of his name. Now he is ready to
enter the world-famous cycling race, the Tour de France. However, during this cycling contest
two mysterious, square-shouldered henchmen kidnap Champion.
Madame Souza and her faithful dog Bruno set out to rescue him. Their quest takes them
across the ocean to the teeming metropolis of Belleville where they encounter the renowned
"Triplets of Belleville," three eccentric female music-hall divas from the 30's who decide to take
Madame Souza and Bruno under their wing. Thanks to Bruno's brilliant sense of smell, the
motley sleuths are soon on to Champion's trail, following the clues to an underground betting
parlor - now the chase is on!

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
"The Cartoon According to writer/director Sylvain Chomet" featurette
"The Making-of The Triplets of Belleville" featurette
Three behind-the-scenes featurettes with scene commentary
--"Opening Sequence"
--"Restaurant Performance"
--"Tuning the Wheel"
Music Video of the Academy Award®-nominated song "Belleville Rendez-Vous"
Widescreen Presentation
Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
Mastered in High Definition
Audio: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), Spanish (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Subtitles: English
Theatrical Trailer
Scene Selections

Rated PG-13
Color / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 81 Minutes

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Bizarre. The only dialogue I remember from the theatrical prsentation was in French, and there were no subtitles.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
The version I saw (at the Midtown Art Cinema in Atlanta) had English dialogue. We're not talking about much dialogue, though. :)

Brian

Stunt Coordinator
I think Michael's post needs a spoiler tag. That synopsis gives away almost the entire plot.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I saw this yesterday, and IMO knowing the plot doesn't spoil this film one bit. The wonderful visuals & offbeat humor are still there to be discovered.

Brian F

Agent
I hope there will be a French audio track on the DVD. I hope that Columbia just made an error in that press release, which only lists English and Spanish. The version I saw in the Evanston Century theater was in French with no subtitles. It is a great film, but I may have to avoid the region 1 version if it does not have the original audio. Granted, there was only about five minutes of dialog. I hope the press release has an error!

I too, have my fingers crossed for "Triplets" to win the animation Oscar!

Real Name
Anthony
I know that Tartan's DVDs are of variable quality but I would seriously recommend that anyone who is PAL-enabled goes for the R0 version. The DTS soundtrack is extremely active and one of the best I've heard. There are also more extras.

George_C

Auditioning
Whether you watch this for the first time in the theater or DVD (or for the second, third, or forth, time for that matter)be sure to look for the "hidden mickey"

The only clue I'll give is that it is most certainly an insight as to how the filmmakers feel about Disney...

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Try 5 seconds! There were only 2 (about 10 words total)lines in the entire film, one at the beginning and one at the end, both of which were dubbed into English when I saw it in theaters. The other "background" talking (French president, etc) was in French w/o subs but I don't think it's too important.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, there is also the commentary to the bike race, which is also in French. While it isn't important to the plot, it is still dialog....

Jason

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I do not remember any lines being dubbed when I saw it in the theater. That's interesting that some places did that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks