What's new

Triplets of Belleville DVD (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Picked up the 2-disc limited Canadian version today.

The packaging looks exactly like the French edition posted on the first page of this thread, only with original 5.1 and 2.0 French and available 5.1 and 2.0 English audio tracks as well! It also indicates both French and English subtitles which I'll have to verify upon watching - I'm not sure if they're optional or forced but I'd assume not the latter.

Disc 2 Special Features list the following:

- Selected Scenes With Commentary
- Cartoon According To Sylvain Chomet
- Making Of Featurette
- Music Video.

Sounds like I dipped for the right set! I'm surprised this isn't listed anywhere on Amazon.Ca... I wasn't even aware of this until finding it on the shelves this morning while picking up the Disney Treasures...

It's R1 btw, so it's not a French import. I'm guessiong it's exclusive to Quebec?

Btw: Ecran Panoramique 1.78:1 - Adopte aux Ecrans 16x9.

:}

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
While I don't speak "Canadian," ;)
I am sure that means it is
"1.78:1, enhanced for 16 x 9 televisions"
like everyone else has.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is my understanding it was projected, at least some of the time if not all the time, at 1.66:1. It sounds like all you gain with the Canadian edition Marco got is a French 5.1 soundtrack. I'm pretty sure the extras are the same. I don't think there is any reason to knock yourself out for the 2 disc Canadian (Quebec only?) edition.

Ike

Screenwriter
I agree with Carlo. I looked for off-framing when I watched this, but I only noticed it in the beginning (after the 1.33:1 opening, in a few shots withe Suze and the dog) then I didn't notice it at all. The second time I watched it, I didn't notice it at all, and everything seemed to be framed pretty correctly. I'm happy witht the R1 DVD, and wouldn't get another version unless it was significantly different.

Juan M. Rico

Stunt Coordinator

No. I picked this version in Toronto.

I was feeling bad because we had to wait two weeks more that the US to get this DVD. Good things happen to those who wait!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I saw the Canadian release and the inside of the package looks like a digipack (it was sealed... can someone confirm?) but the outside looks taller because it's shaped like an old radio - and may be shelve-unfriendly for some.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It's shelf friendly Mark.

The outer shell shaped like the radio holds an inner digi slip of sorts which is about the same height as the overall package. It slides out of the top and unfolds to reveal 2 ends which secure the disc trays.

It's actually sturdier than the average digipack case I find. I really like the design of this and don't find it inconvenient at all. It could be stood upright or stacked easily upon one's shelf display.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Marco.

It was hard to tell since it was sealed, and I didn't have much time to investigate as I was on my lunch break.

dave wright

Agent
Real Name
Dave Wright
Le magnifique! in any version.the opening is among the most memorable of any film in recent times------------------------dave from jersey

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Cool but VERY, VERY odd film. And why the damn EE...??? It's a CARTOON! There are black lines separating colors, objects, characters... None was needed!! Certain shots during the race... UGH...

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member

They're a little odd, and more like Closed Captioning rather than Subtitles. I played the movie with the French Soundtrack and English subtitles for a bit after getting a complaint from a customer (working in a video store). The subtitles would show all the sound effects (IE [Barking], [Music Playing]) like closed captions, but the dialog would show as French subtitles.

After reading this thread that makes some sense, since much of the language is french, even in the english soundtrack, but it sure is confusing to someone (like myself) not terribly familiar with the movie.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
People,

the constant bickering about aspect ratio and language issues are entirely moot. Why? Because this is one of the WORST DVD MASTERING JOBS I have seen in AGES. What's so bad? EE!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

The ringing is so horrible that it's absolutely UNWATCHABLE on my projector. All the hard-edged animation is doubled with ringing/halos. So bad that at times fine detail looks out-of-focus or like a double-exposure with ghosting. Whoever is responsible for this hiddeous mastering should be FIRED.

I'm really pissed. I won't watch the movie (just looked at a few scenes and had to take it out...that bad).

Hopefully for most of you with smaller screens this won't be a huge problem...but projected it's simply terrible.

A real shame. I was looking forward to the real "movie" experience here at home with this title.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave, guys...

Just read the review of this at DVDFile.com...
The anamorphically-enhanced picture is reasonably sharp and detailed. It isn't razor sharp like the best CGI animation digital-to-digital transfers, but it doesn't seem lacking either. The end credits are rather blurry, though. Thankfully, there is very little edge enhancement ringing to distract. Colors are crisply defined, clean and noiseless. For the most part, this is a nice transfer indeed..."

Ummmm... did this critic watch the same disc that I did...??? Very little EE ringing to distract... Hmmmm....
Maybe he didn't watch the whole flick, as the bicycle race is atrocious. Or maybe he has a nice 27" interlaced monitor...
But what do I know....?

;0 D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
That is astounding.

Honestly, this disc is the worst EE offender I've seen in AGES. So bad that even a complete non-HT grandmother would wonder why there's all that "blurring" around all the edges of everything that looks like ghosting.

The ringing is so bad I literally had to just turn the movie off. Couldn't stop being constantly distracted and pissed off by this completely unnecessary artifact just f*&@!ing up the picture of this otherwise gorgeous movie.

Glad (sad) to see that you saw it too. Wondering if I was the only one!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Marco: I picked up the same set you did, haven't opened it yet, I'm WAY behind in watching stuff. I'm wondering if this was a PAL->NTSC transfer: did you notice? If so, maybe I should look into getting an R2/French release instead, let the player do the NTSC conversion?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yes, unfortunately it is a PAL-NTSC transfer and I wish I would have just gone for the R2 French version myself... There's a really good review over at DVDToons of the disc as well as a thread in the review section of the forums which offers a link to a detailed comparisson of both the R2 and Canadian versions I highly recommend you check out..

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
early on in this thread i mentioned the trailer was on "the statement" and looked amazing.

i wonder if the ee was on that too. i doubt it as later in the thread post 23 i said,
"watching now.
first thing is that this has the
worst horizontal edge enhancement
i have seen in a long time."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks