Triple Crossover for HK AVR225

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Peter Ping, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Peter Ping

Peter Ping Agent

I am new to the forum. I need some help. I'd like to learn a few things about Harman Kardon avr225 before I replace my Pioneer 811s. I use my receiver mainly for SACD and DVD-A. I am a classical music lover.

Is there a Triple Crossover Bass Manager on avr 225 as 325 and 525 or even the newer 130 models?

Does the crossover work for analogue bass management in the case of SACD and DVD-A?

If it works, how well does it work?

Is a better receiver less critical for SACD and DVD-A due to the direct analogue bypass?

Is HK225 definitively better than Pioneer 811 for SACD and DVD-A?

Sorry for that many questions. Thanks.

2. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

I don't know about the 225 and 325, but I know for sure the 525 has the triple crossover. Yes, it works well--it does what it's supposed to. I would guess that they do. Only you can tell if a 225 is better than your pioneer. Why don't you buy one from Circuit City or some place that allows for returns, and see if it makes the difference you're looking for?

3. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

No triple on 225 , fixed at 100hz. Still a great receiver for the money.

4. Peter Ping

Peter Ping Agent

Thanks for the info.

I still want to know the effect of triple crossover for dvd-a and savd playback since the receiver only acts as an analogue bypass device.

5. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

If you use the triple crossover, the receiver will have to process the signal to do the crossing over. It's not a simple analog bypass. So this would theoretically degrade the sound quality. There is also a direct analog pass through function if your player has bass management built in.

6. Peter Ping

Peter Ping Agent

Thanks, Andrew.

I use Pioneer dv563, a universal player, as my DVD-A player, which has a bass management for both DVD-A and SACD (that is the reason I replaced JVC xv-fa900 DVD-A changer). I also use Sony dvp-nc650 changer as my SACD player (which seems to sound better with SACD than dv563), which has a BM onboard for SACD.

I use Pioneer vsx811 as my receiver. Now I am thinking about upgrading my receiver to HK325 or 525 with the triple crossover feature. However, I am wondering if the feature will really help much in my case for high-res music playback.

If receivers cannot do much BM for DVD-A/SACD, should I then go another route with a new universal player such as Denon dvd2900?

7. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

Peter, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean when your setup needs help with bass management. I have the Sony changer that you do as well as the AVR525. I don't use the bass management in the receiver at all--I just use the changer's plus the 525's direct analog pass through. If your pioneer does in fact have 5.1 analog inputs, this is essentially the same thing that I am using. If this triple crossover feature is the only thing making you want to upgrade receivers, I wouldn't bother unless you believe the HK's sound better than the Pioneer. I've never played with any Pioneer long enough to evaluate that one.

8. Peter Ping

Peter Ping Agent

Thanks, Andrewm. My setup is similar to yours. Pioneer 811 has the 5.1 analogue input and serves as the amps.

Both my Pioneer 563 and Sony 650 have a global fixed crossover for high-res DAC processing (I read somewhere that 563 fixes the global crossover at 100hz for dvd-a and 120hz for sacd), but my front speakers can drive down to 40hz, my center to 50hz and my surrounds to 55hz. That is why I started thinking about the triple crossover feature of HK receivers. I doubt the feature will affect high-res analogue bypass, so I posted the question for comments.

I am currently thinking about two alternatives: (1) getting a higher-quality regualr universal player (e.g., Denon 2900), and (2) getting an i-link universial player (e.g., Pioneer 47ai). What are your thoughts?

9. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

The AVR-230 does have the triple crossover.